FX1 on par with Varicam - hands on report inside - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 17th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #31
Obstreperous Rex

Re: a pro HDV camera with interchangeable lenses, this is in the works, and it will come from JVC. It's a full-size shoulder-mount camera based on the GY-DV7000 design and will cost about $20,000, which is much less than the (in my opinion) best SD camera out today, the Panasonic SDX900.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 01:50 PM   #32
Capt. Quirk

Let me ask you this... What changes would you like to see in the FX1? What is the single feature that gets your attention?
Old October 17th, 2004, 05:01 PM   #33
Wrangler

Just thinking "out loud" here...

We usually think of getting 3rd party lenses for our cameras. Maybe if Canon is going to be slow to market with HDV, we should look the other way 'round? That is, maybe a competitor should produce (or just "threaten" to produce!) an HDV camera body with an XL mount?! (Maybe there are patent issues with this idea, but if 3rd party XL lenses are legal, maybe the reverse is ok, too?)

Assuming that HDV really is a step up, there must be a lot of XL lenses out there by now that would happily sit on a quality HDV body, regardless of who made it.

I figure my 20x and 3x lenses are worth about half of the $6K I've invested in the XL system so it wouldn't bother me one bit to slap a $2-3K Sony/JVC/Pana body on them if HDV really is the winner most of us anticipate it to be.

Parenthetically, I must say that I'm VERY pleased with the 16:9 images the XL2 is giving me...as eager as I've been for HDV, it really will need to be dramatically sharper if it means abandoning my investment into the XL2's unmatched (for "consumer" cams) depth of features. A **slightly** sharper image with a lesser feature set won't do it for me; it'll have to be a slam dunk.

Ah, well. I guess most of us have yet to directly see HDV footage with our own eyes..."Patience, Grasshopper." ;-)
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2004, 06:26 PM   #34
Major Player

Keith, good question

It certainly is worth thinking about...

It's not an easy one to answer because, actually, the FX1 seems pretty feature rich...

I'd have to say for "convenience" it would have been cool to have XLR on cheapo version a la basic DVX100...

More importantly, I'd offer that what I'd like to see is a cineframe/filmic type mode that really delivers if true 24p is not possible/part of HDV spec... Panasonic has done a nice job of this with their "film-like" frame modes on recent cams like DVC-30 and GS400 - they're both much better than "old" Canon frame mode used to be...

Sony brought out 24p on cheapie 1-CCD consumer level cam this past summer, no? It's not like Sony is anti-24p!

Also, I'd have liked a "better" lens on pro FX1 (Z1?) to justify the higher cost/make you think twice about whether or not to buy pro version.

Having XLR and the ability to watch EVF and LCD at same time, etc. are not enough of a benefit to me to justify spending the extra $$$ on pro - I think the big question-mark right now is really how much more the Z1 is going to be over the consumer - from feature set listed so far, I don't understand how they can justify ~$7,000.00... The posts that claim image quality of consumer FX1 will be exactly the same as pro are the dealbreaker for me and make me go "yeah, alright, really no need to wait for pro" - if that's the case!

Yes, it's great to speculate - dammit, how many more days? And why aren't we getting any reports from Japan by now?

Any hunch how soon Ulead/Adobe/Apple will have capture utility ready to get HDV footage into computer?

Back to Tai Chi....
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:36 AM   #35
Inner Circle

I have a rptv that cost well under 1500.00 US and 1080i broadcast (when originating from HD source) are stunning. SD interlaced footage that has been uprezed from old analog
source tends to look bad.

As far as the 'film' look? The HD video look has a long future ahead of it. I've been watching concerts, nature shows, travel shows, DIY stuff, racing, hotrod shows... on INHD, INHD2 and discovery HD, and all I can say is wow.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:42 AM   #36
Skyonic New York

Re: Keith, good question

<<<-- Originally posted by Mark Kubat : I don't understand how they can justify ~$7,000.00... -->>>

simple they are the ones making a 3ccd hd camera with xlr inputs thats handheld and sd/ntsc/pal switchable

a lot of firsts there...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 10:48 AM   #37
Obstreperous Rex

Plus, $7,000 will seem like a bargain compared to the forthcoming JVC offering at $20,000. Of course, that one's a full-size shoulder-mount camera with interchangeable lenses and all the pro features. Think GY-DV7000 in HDV.

Old October 18th, 2004, 11:23 AM   #38
Regular Crew

The "under $7,000" price tag is not official, based as far as I can tell on what one Sony rep at IBC said (in euros) to someone who posted it on the web. Remember that the mock-up version displayed at NAB last spring came with a "under $5000" estimate from the Sony people there.

Certainly, the confirmed 46 differences we know of in the pro version don't add up to a $3300 upgrade in a value-added sense, especially when third-party products are available to add on the FX1 for considerably less.

I really believe the price of the pro version will be much closer to $5000 than $7000 for two reasons. First, the confirmed differences between the consumer and pro are pretty much the same as the differences in the consumer VX2100 and the pro PD-170. If the same mark up between those two is applied to the HDV offerings, you get about $5k for the pro. Like the PD-170, a wide angle adapter could be included.

Second is marketing. The FX1 seemed to be aimed squarely at the DVX100A from a price point prespective. And with only $3700 to spend, I see very few reasons to choose the DVX over the Sony. At $5000, the pro version will go up against the XL-2. For that comparison, I guess we'll have to wait for some real world tests of both not only in camera but in the edit bay as well.
Mike Gannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2004, 12:20 PM   #39
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : ... the (in my opinion) best SD camera out today, the Panasonic SDX900. -->>>

Chris, I hate to deviate from the thread, however can't help but ask if you looked at Pana SPX800 (DVCPRO50 4:2:2, $20K list + glass) and Sony PDW-530 XDCAM? And what do you think about them comparing to Pana SDX900 you mentioned?

Once again, so sorry if this is off topic.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #40
Inner Circle

>>Plus, $7,000 will seem like a bargain compared to the forthcoming JVC offering at $20,000. Of course, that one's a full-size shoulder-mount camera with interchangeable lenses and all the pro features. Think GY-DV7000 in HDV.
<<

I think there will be a place for both. If JVC uses full size tape and lowers the price a few thousand, it will be very popular. IMHO. The issue will be reliability, which plagues JVCs new cameras.

I'm willing to bet that the camera is released closer to 12K.
Joe Carney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 11:51 AM   #41
Obstreperous Rex

Alex, I know of those cameras, but have no hands-on experience with them. Let's amend my claim about the SDX900 to include it and the SPX800 and the XDCAM as all collectiely being at the top of the hill.

Joe, I agree that the JVC camera would be much more attractive if it used a full-sized cassette.

Old October 19th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #42
Contributor

film out

Next summer I'm planning to shoot a low budget feature. We were thinking seriously about the XL2 but now this new Sony HDV has thrown us for a loop. What I'd like to see is footage from both camcorders, under similar conditions, transferred to 35mm. Any thoughts on which camera would deliver the better image?
Chris Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2004, 04:17 PM   #43
Obstreperous Rex

Chris, how easy is it for you to get to Manhattan? I might be able to arrange a hands-on of both cameras for you.

Old October 19th, 2004, 04:45 PM   #44
Contributor

Very easy. Are you in the New York this week? Thanks for the offer! Do you still have my cell number?
Chris Ward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1