HDR-FX1/Final Cut Pro HD/DecklinkHD Testing report at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 27th, 2004, 05:09 AM   #1
Trustee

HDR-FX1/Final Cut Pro HD/DecklinkHD Testing report

I was capturing the footage I shot with HDR-FX1 with LumiereHD version 1.2 and posted on the ftp server here, but I could not edit on Final Cut Pro HD since Version 1.2 of LumiereHD is not properly demultiplextising the m2t files.

I thought I was goona wait until LumiereHD gets updated or Final Cut Pro HD itself become compatible, but my worker, Mitsuhiro Okuda found a software on the web which could convert m2t file into quicktime movie with various codecs.

http://www.alfanet.it/squared5/default.html

Although there are some problems like the video and audio don't sync good and the frame skips, you can test the work flow of capturing and editing in another codec, most importantly to me, convert the footage in Blackmagic's DecklinkHD codec and edit. With the few flaws, this Squared5 software converts m2t files directly to DecklinkHD uncompressed 8bit HD file. Then I can bring it in to Final Cut Pro HD and playback in realtime. I have to remind you, that this is converted to uncompressed file. It might sound to you that why umcompressed since the original footage is in compressed format, but if you upconvert the file to uncompressed and apply effects and do adjusting, you will appreciate the extra depth and the mostly importantly, DecklinkHD will let you work realtime in most functions.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 05:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Kaku, can you confirm if pc capture works...

using that app that I posted a link to the other day? CapDVHS? it should allow pc capture of m2t over firewire....? know you're busy.... a lot of us here are pc people and want to know if there's a way NOW for us to capture as opposed to having to wait for some software upgrade...

thanks - your footage is tremendous - any bike footage coming?
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #3
Trustee

Mark, sorry, our business first.
Our business let me provide all of you here whatever I'm providing, so main purpose, make this HDR-FX1 work with MacOS is most important to us.
That is why Macintosh test result breaks out ealier from us.

Our business has to be going to continue the contribution here.
Please understand.
Old October 27th, 2004, 08:32 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Kaku, there's just one thing with Mpeg Streamclip, though: after demuxing, the interlace artifacts becomes part of the footage. There's no longer a way to blend fields or whatever.
Donal Briard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2004, 08:37 AM   #5
Trustee

Donal,

Thank you very much for your information. I'm also looking into HDpartner.
I was looking at the website, but there's no demo version. Do you know what kind of reputation it has?
Old October 28th, 2004, 08:07 PM   #6
RED Problem Solver

I'm converting your m2t to Decklink here, viewing through HD SDI to HDLink to 23" cinema display. It's a good way to view HD - you see every little detail. Thanks for making the footage available to us so that we can see what it looks like. I'm trying out Film Effects to see what it looks like compared to the built in 24p mode, which, to me, seems rather too juddery.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 12:10 AM   #7
Trustee

I'm glad you find it useful. Do you mean your are watching as Decklink desktop function? Or using something to convert?
Old October 29th, 2004, 06:57 AM   #8
RED Problem Solver

I'm outputting HD SDI out of the decklink, and using an HDLink to convert the HD SDI to DVI, and I've plugged a 23" Cinema Display into the HDLink. This gives a much superior HD picture than just plugging the display into your mac's graphics card. I downloaded some more of your owkr so I'll be able to comment better later today. I did apply G Film to one of the clips, and the end result was very filmic indeed, much nicer than the in-built 24p effect. In this situation the video grain helps, rather than hinders the look.

Graeme
Graeme Nattress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 09:01 AM   #9
Trustee

Ah, I missed the magic word HDLink. Great stuff.
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1