Directly capturing HDV footage as DV using FX1's down-conversion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 29th, 2004, 08:57 AM   #1
Trustee

Directly capturing HDV footage as DV using FX1's down-conversion

Few people asked here, so I'm providing the report.

I'm connecting FX1 to G5 directly via firewire cable. Booted up Final Cut Pro HD, open the capture window, software recognize FX1 as video device no problem and capture in real time or with the in/out & clip function no problem. The footage is shot with HDV format. I will provide HDV/DV format comparison as soon as I can.

I will also test DV shooting with FX1 since that is one of the way I want to use this cam since I shoot downhill mountainbike races and riders go really fast!
Kaku Ito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:07 AM   #2
Major Player

Thank you!

This is great news.

As a lot of folks on this board say...downsampled/down rezzed HD is gonna look awesome since we are starting from a higher res source...

Anamorphic DVD's are going to be wonderful....

This is a great way for beginners/people to start using the camera--without having to worry about editing HDV just yet...

Thank you so much for finally answering this question.

Now, I just need an extra four thousand bucks....
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2004, 10:31 AM   #3
Trustee

John,

Good. I lost track with where your request was, but I figured this should be a speparate thread anyway and glad you found it.
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:50 AM   #4
Regular Crew

KAKU:

What about the video quality of the downcoverted HD to DV? When shooting HD and downcoverting to DV, does it definitely look better than any other mini DV camera ?

Can you capture the cineframe 24 or cineframe 30 over firewire?
Edwin Hernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2004, 09:10 AM   #5
Trustee

I will do "HDV to DV" and DV comparison tomorrow.
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:31 AM   #6
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by John C. Chu : Thank you!

This is great news.

As a lot of folks on this board say...downsampled/down rezzed HD is gonna look awesome since we are starting from a higher res source...

Anamorphic DVD's are going to be wonderful....

This is a great way for beginners/people to start using the camera--without having to worry about editing HDV just yet...

Thank you so much for finally answering this question.

Now, I just need an extra four thousand bucks.... -->>>

Completely false. On SD DVD, whether you shoot FX1 in HDV or DV mode, or use the AGDVX or XL2 etc will produce just about the same result. You will end up with the exact same resolution, and in all cases, the exact same color space.

People are confused with film or CineAlta-like footage which is great, has a wonderful color palette, shallow DOF etc. When down size to DVD, they still retain all those qualities. It is like DV VS DV shot with a 35mm to DV adapter.
Donal Briard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:49 AM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Donal Briard :

Completely false. On SD DVD, whether you shoot FX1 in HDV or DV mode, or use the AGDVX or XL2 etc will produce just about the same result. You will end up with the exact same resolution, and in all cases, the exact same color space.

People are confused with film or CineAlta-like footage which is great, has a wonderful color palette, shallow DOF etc. When down size to DVD, they still retain all those qualities. It is like DV VS DV shot with a 35mm to DV adapter. -->>>

You are saying that the viewer is not going to be aware that footage originated from a camera with higher detail in this case when downrezzed to SD??

I, for one, will wait to hear from Kaku on this..
John C. Chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:45 PM   #8
Major Player

FX1 to DVD beats XL2 hands down...

John, rest assured - I've done the tests.

You would have to have a visual impairment to not see that FX1 to SD DVD is obviously superior to XL2 to DVD...

We've sold off our XL2's at the t.v. station where I work because of this development... we broadcast out in Mpeg2 on digital satellite and we've run tests - the FX1 is clear winner - hmmm.

How can I put it in terms we can all understand?

XL2 is New York Yankees.

FX1 is the BoSox.

I don't know what steps Donal has taken in his tests - but ours were very thorough and we can all sleep better knowing the HDV to SD DVD is a great way to go!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2004, 07:47 PM   #9
Major Player

I'm talking about FX1 HDV downconvert to SD DVD, btw

oh, just to clarify - I'm talking about the down-convert...

FX1 DV certainly would be expected to be on par with XL2... but FX1 HDV > NTSC SD DVD is a grand-slam home run, to continue the baseball analogy...
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2004, 06:22 AM   #10
Major Player

That seems obvious

That makes sense Mark--I mean, if nothing else you're starting with a higher rez source that can actually shoot a decent wide shot...Yes, it may end up at the same resolution and colorspace, but it starts with much greater detail...it just makes good sense...
Kevin Dooley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1