New concern regarding SONY and HDV Format at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 4th, 2004, 12:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

New concern regarding SONY and HDV Format

Hi Folks,

I have a concern regarding the FX1 and Sony's unwillingness to allow for their logo's to be used.

Monday of last week, I contacted Sony Corp to tell them about a documentary the company I work for was producing. We mentioned we were shooting it on the FX 1 Camera and asked to have an official HDV logo so that we could put it in the end credits as the format of principle photography.

Sony (Peoples names won't be put here for legal reasons) were very stubborn about lending the HDV logo to productions using the FX1 Camera even though the company is established and the production budget is over $220,000.00 CDN.

I have serious concerns of the quality of the FX1 camera if SONY is waiting to lend its official logo's only to the professional version of the model...

Use of the "Pro" version is an issue for us on this project because it doesn't come out till late January.. Which is too late for us as we start shooting then.

So, I ask, whats going on here?

Any thoughts??

-alex

JumpPoint Entertainment
www.jumppoint.org
Alex Pappas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:04 PM   #2
Major Player

Dude, the answer is simple...

you should have said instead you were from Toronto - the only true Canadian production center.

Then they would have taken you seriously.

No probs here - about to add HDV logo to our website..

Cheers.

What? Sony is actually shipping to Canadian destinations outside of Toronto right now? Pffffffttt.... Maybe once ALL Toronto orders have been filled...

Aw, I'm just kidding, Alex!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Ha ha ha!

Actually, your probably right Mark!!

:)
-alex

JumpPoint Entertainment
www.jumppoint.org
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:24 PM   #4
Wrangler

This just sounds like typical corporate paranoia and red tape to me. I can see how plugging HDV might benefit Sony, but I don't understand how there could be any value to you by including the logo in your credits. Personally I wouldn't read anything into all this, and don't see how your film will suffer if the logo isn't used.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 02:35 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Boyd,

Oh I don't think the production will suffer because of it. Its just nice to have logo's for the equipment used in the production in the credits.

Ultimatly its not a big deal. But... I'm confused as to why Sony isn't jumping at opportunities to market their gear.

I've never had a problem with Panasonic or Avid or Adobe.

So this just a little strange to me. But the film itself won't be affected at all. (Obvious to say...)

JumpPoint Entertainment
www.jumppoint.org
Old November 4th, 2004, 04:13 PM   #6
Wrangler

With my background in live theatre we constantly have to think about program credits during our shows. I would not dream of putting something like an ETC or Rosco logo in there even though we use their lights and gels. The only time something goes into our credits is if it's contracturally required or if some consideration has been given by the company (like a discount on their equipment/services).

So that's where I'm coming from... it just wouldn't occur to me to put logos randomly into credits. When I see this sort of thing in film credits (like Panavision, etc) I always assume that it's for the reasons I mention above (required by contract or part of a discount deal).

But I agree that it's odd for Sony to refuse permission for free advertising. Like I said, I really doubt that it has anything to do with concerns about HDV quality though. Everyone in the corporate world is increasingly paranoid about liability and licensing issues anymore, and that's probably all this is...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2004, 08:03 PM   #7
Major Player

There is a lot of legal trouble over the HDV logo. The term HDV is a licensed trade mark, and the company that protects that trademark is very very fussy.

One of the reasons I dropped HDVTraining was in fear of reprisals. Hense the birth of JumpStart Guides with the HDV title.

Don't take it personally.

BTW, everyone knows VANCOUVER is the hub of all production in Canada. Toronto and Montreal are just wantabees and Ottawa.....well we won't even go there!

:))

DBK
Old November 5th, 2004, 06:28 AM   #8
Trustee

Frankly I don't see what's the big fuss of using a logo or not.

What do you get by using it? Prestige? Any discount? What advantages?

I really don't care to use any name if I don't get something important in return.

If you care so much for showing how you did it, why not simply adding a note at the end of the film?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 06:17 AM   #9
RED Code Chef

If the Sony camera is "true" HDV how can they stop you for using
that logo? The HDV logo does not belong to them but to someone
else (as Darren also said). It is something different if you put
"filmed with Sony camera's" or something I'd imagine. Still, you
may need some rights to use it or take Boyd's words to heart.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 06:51 AM   #10
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : If the Sony camera is "true" HDV how can they stop you for using
that logo? The HDV logo does not belong to them but to someone
else (as Darren also said). It is something different if you put
"filmed with Sony camera's" or something I'd imagine. Still, you
may need some rights to use it or take Boyd's words to heart. -->>>

Sony is one of th eowner as it is one of th efounder of the HDV forum. Like DVD, HDV as a logo must be licensed. This is done so that they can avoid crappy replicates from usig the HDV logo and hurting the standard.

I distribute DVD's and I had to pay a hefty price for the right to use the DVD Video logo on my DVD sleeves. If anyone of you is really an industry professional, that fact is already well known.
Donal Briard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2004, 07:00 AM   #11
RED Code Chef

I know Sony is PART OF the HDV forum. In my view this HDV
forum should give out the license to use the logo, not Sony, right?
That's what I'm (trying to) say(ing).

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1