My first look at a real FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 12th, 2004, 01:09 PM   #1
Trustee

My first look at a real FX1

Just came back from picking up a new lens for the 510P I'm buying. While I was at the showroom I was able to have good look at some high def demos and also the FX1 via a high def display.

Pretty impressed I was. But then at that resolution it would be hard not to. Although unfortunately I didn't get to witness any recorded HDV material. Apparently they made some recordings in another country such as Thailand or somewhere, but they didn't have the tape to hand. But anyway, there was some amazing detail going on there and I will be keeping a close eye on it. Although if I go HD it will probably be through a full size rig, or getting a Z1 should I start getting demand for HD stuff for conference projections etc.

There are some controls lacking, even on the Z1 that stop it from really being a pro camera. Lack of lens barrel markings for one. They could have at least have put a true focus adjustment on there rather than a servo ring again.

Regarding the progressive issue. I saw it in Cineframe mode and to be honest it looked awful. The strobing was absolutely horrific. Definitely a mode to avoid from what I saw. But on the other hand from the HD demos I have seen I'm not sure why progressive is as important as it is with SD video. Interlaced HD video has a look all of it's own, and the sheer quality stops it from having the 'cheap video' look that we associate with SD interlace.

I don't think the lack of progressive is too much of an issue. In fact I think it may be possible that interlaced HD will gain a desirable look all of it's own. However if someone does make a 1080P HD camera I wouldn't complain. This of course could be done in the same way the DVX100 does 25P (24P is another matter altogether). But I don't think it's as important as people may think. There could even be a reversal against the progressive look in the long run, who knows. Or maybe the 2 looks will become equally as desirable depending on the directors choice, with neither one being seen as dominant.

One thing I was wondering however was about the depth of field on an FX1/Z1. It only has a 1/3" CCD. However, that 1/3" has double the pixels of a normal 1/3" CCD. Shouldn't this mean that the FX1 has a much shallower depth of field capability than most MiniDV 1/3" cams?
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 01:41 PM   #2
Trustee

The pixel count is not a factor in depth of field. The size of the CCD is a factor, but not the number of pixels on it.
Old November 12th, 2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Trustee

Just found this thread
http://b-roll.net/ubb/ultimatebb.php...c;f=1;t=007198
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2004, 06:40 PM   #4
Major Player

from first hand experience with FX1, there is better D.o.F.

From test-shooting with FX1 last week, at different apertures, I can confirm that it's easier to "rack focus" under normal lighting conditions than with other 1/3" 3CCD mini dv cameras - there's something to be said for what Sony has done with these Super HAD chips or whatever they're called...

Moreover, focus and zoom rings seemed more responsive to me on FX1 than on say DVX100A - it's a lot of fun to shoot with the FX1 and it feels good in your hands... I think this camera and the pro cousin will deliver...

It will be more apparent in head to head comparison tests, no doubt.
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1