Hacking the fx1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 16th, 2004, 12:27 AM   #1
Skyonic New York

Hacking the fx1

i wonder how long it will be till someone cracks the code and decreases the compression on the fx...say instead of 25mbits to 50mbits, maybe even 100mbits

of course that might mean the tape mechanism would be rendered useless, unless someway it could be sped up and handle the increase load...

but there is always fw out...

of course it would take greater effort then lets say wassa unlocking features in the digital rebel, but i don't think it would require a hardware change like Juans dvx mod
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 05:33 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

Don't expect that to happen, that would be nearly impossible. It
is far "easier" (relatively) to apply a mod like Juan's (on the
DVX100) to get uncompressed out for example.

The problem is that the camera would need to be reprogrammed
(the question is whether this is doable) and have the processing
power (remaining!) to actually do that. Not to mention there is no
standard that supports it so you would also need to write your
own capture software and find someway to support the old mode
as well and work around tape issues and whatnot.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 08:43 AM   #3
Obstreperous Rex

Having met Robert in person, I must say... never tell him anything is "impossible."

;-)

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 09:27 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

Robert it's impossible! <g> (wonder if that would challenge him
to make it happen). Nah, I just think it would be faster another
way around, that's all. Heh.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 11:25 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Lohman : Robert it's impossible! <g> (wonder if that would challenge him
to make it happen). Nah, I just think it would be faster another
way around, that's all. Heh. -->>>

The first obvious hack is to uncover the differences between the FX1 and the Z1. There are some pprogramming that I am sure could be hacked to make the FX1 closer to the Z1

There's your challenge

DBK
Old November 16th, 2004, 11:39 AM   #6
Major Player

Speaking of, does anyone know what the data rate is on the Z-1
Joshua Starnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 12:35 PM   #7
Major Player

It's 25Mbs (same as the FX1, same as DV).
Dylan Pank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 07:09 PM   #8
New Boot

hack nstuff

Hi Robert

I really like thinking out of the box. I dont know if this is possible but many things in this world are created by those who dont take no for an answer. I am an owner of a software company that has created products unrelated to video applications.

My employees understand software and hardware and Ill bet that given time and money, could most certainly modify this unit.

Question is, is it worth it? Maybe yes.

Ive never been able to figure out the stupid high cost of broadcast or film camera lenses or equipment. Some of the thinking in the profession also seems to be flawed. For example to find fault in 25mps through mpeg conversion. I think this is a true technological breakthrough!

Uncompressed is far simpler to technically accomplish than an intelligent hardware based compression codec. Have you noticed that the high end "pro's" are absolutely silent with regards to hdv? Instead of demanding more for their money, they ridicule hdv as some strange justification for the free fall in value of their varicams etc.

I also shoot with an eos 1ds and have in my bag what is generally considered to be the finest lense ever made by canon. the 200 1.8. My cost for this lense? around 2K used. Try and get a decent motion picture lense for 2K and see how far that will get you.

Why is it that in motor racing technology lighter and stronger is so coveted and much more expensive. The analogy would seem that more quality out of a leaner bitrate translates into something that is very desirable and transportable. Alas in the broadcast field things seem to still exist in the digital horse and buggy era. Cast iron bitrates of 100mps are somehow inherently better than intelligent 25mps.

Most of the prices reflect whatever the market will allow rather than any true difference in technology, materials, labor or all three.

Pushing the limit is important, however If you are bankrolled by the big boys why even worry about the cost, its really not your problem. a difference of $ 600 per day rental is insignificant on a 1 month production schedule. (600x5)4 is nothing in the scheme of things from a production point of view.

George
George Caramanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2004, 07:22 PM   #9
Wrangler

I think Adam Wilt made an interesting observation in his article "Size isn't everything" in the April issue of DV Magazine
Quote:
Remember when DV came out? Recall how horrible it was supposed to be? Yet it turned out to be mostly harmless; the images were (and are) nice-better than they should have been for the price and the amount of compression.

HDV looks to repeat that history: Even though the pictures are compressed to within an inch of their lives, they look a lot better than they have any right to.
http://www.dv.com/columns/columns_it...cleId=18902627
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 12:37 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Does the FX1 create an uncompressed image and the compress it to the tape using specially designed hardware/software? It seems that the mpeg2 compression would have to be rewritten or replaced in order to change how it's compressing to the tape.

I'm talking out of my ass since I'm not a technical guy, but increasing it to 50mbits would be awesome. It's odd that Sony didn't decide to just have the DV tapes only work for 30 minutes instead of 60 minutes. I've been told they make most of their money on tape sales (although how that's possible, I have no idea). So cut the amount of time you can record by half, increase the quality, and double the amount of tape sales.

Looking forward to seeing some hacks. After seeing this story, I'm convinced they can hack anything:

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl...tid=137&tid=10
Hayden Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 01:14 PM   #11
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Hayden Rivers :

Looking forward to seeing some hacks. After seeing this story, I'm convinced they can hack anything:

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/17/1743224&tid=141&tid=100&tid=137&tid=10 -->>>

Please forgive my dumbness in hacking matters, but what is the story we should know of?

On that URL I could only see something for the GBA and Gameboy. Can you explain a little on what was the achievement?

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2004, 01:42 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Um.... it's completely useless to this forum, but the fact that someone decided that you should be able to hookup your Gameboy Advance to your computer to turn it into some kind of music factory is insane. I guess there's no technical acheivement, so I probably should have picked something more technically impressive.
Hayden Rivers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1