Wide angle for Sony HDV - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old November 27th, 2004, 04:41 PM   #16
New Boot

wider is nicer but maybe not worth it

I agree. I have the Sony wide angle lens and it's great to have a little bit more wider but I'm not sure that it's worth the $$$. Grab it if you've got lotsa $$$$ but I'm not sure I would if I had my time again. (anyone want to buy a Sony wide angle for the FX1?).

My main concern which has been noted here is being able to get in closer with the FX1 with a teleconverter. Anyone come across a good solution to shoot objects in the distance close up?
Anyone found a 2.0 or more teleconverter that would work???
Wes Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 02:05 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Any of them will work of course, but you'll have to accept a huge loss of zoom range due to vignetting. Also telephotos (even with SD) tend to show up lens defects quite quickly, and my guess is SD will only exagerate that.

I agree it's a pity the FX1 has such a loss of telephoto over the VX1k as I delight in the telephoto compression and differential focus on offer with the VX, especially when used in combination with its faster f2.4 stop.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 02:41 PM   #18
New Boot

any lens recommendations

Not too concerned about the vignetting as this is just par for the course - happy to lose 1/2 the zoom length is need be

I just need as much telephoto as possible to get in close to the action

Do you have a lens that you could recommend that would suit the FX1, giving a high quality telephoto image?
Wes Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2004, 06:52 PM   #19
Major Player

Re: any lens recommendations

<<<-- Originally posted by Wes Greene : Not too concerned about the vignetting as this is just par for the course - happy to lose 1/2 the zoom length is need be

I just need as much telephoto as possible to get in close to the action

Do you have a lens that you could recommend that would suit the FX1, giving a high quality telephoto image? -->>>

Wes Ive tested the XL adapter that allows you to use Canon lenses on the camera. I used it in confunction with a Tamron 300-500mm lens. While the DOF was really small, it works out to something like a 4500mm lens.

My reason for doing this was because I like doing wild life stuff, Birds, Bears, etc.

For really long work, I would go this way. The extender is for not so extreme situations.

DBK
Old November 29th, 2004, 04:17 AM   #20
New Boot

sounds great! more info?

Hi Darren,

That sounds pretty good but I don't have a great understanding of the adapter you are talking about.

Do you mean something like
Canon EF Adapter XL for Canon XL-2 and XL-1 DV Camcorders to mount EOS Photo Lenses
check out
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=146134&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo

Would this sort of lens be an option
Canon XL-20XL2 20x Zoom Lens for Canon XL-2, f/1.6 to f/3.5, Covers both 16:9 and 4:3 Aspect Video, requires 72mm Screw Filters
_check out
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=349737&is=REG

You can probably tell I'm pretty clueless as to lens options.

Can you provide me with any links to the solution you are suggesting?
What about an idea of costs?

I orginally imaging a good telephoto setup would be achievable for around US$500, but maybe this isn't the case.

cheers
wes
Wes Greene is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1