60i/30CF/24CF - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 1st, 2004, 07:43 PM   #16
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally posted by Shannon Rawls : OK...you guys are great....

So basically...... Buy the Z1's, Shoot at 1080/60i (in cf24 mode),
No. From the testing I've done so far, there's no point for a moviemaker to use CF24... unless the Z1's CF24 is substantially different from the FX1's.

What will likely prove a better workflow would be, if you want to use HDV, get the Z1 and shoot 1080/50i in CF25 mode. Then in post slow that down by 4% to get a good simulation of 24P.

I'm still testing, but so far CF30 looks a *lot* better than CF24 on the FX1. I'd expect CF25 on the Z1 to look as good as CF30 on the FX1, which might make it a viable option.

Quote:
Do you think it will look cinematically good enough to sell in 60i/cf24, rather then true 24p?? (assuming all other cinematic techniques are coverd like lighting, shooting style, etc...)
Still testing, still reviewing, should know more by the end of this week. Initial indications are a resounding *no*.

But our testing will let you know, as we're shooting DVX/24P, XL2/24P, and FX1/CF24 side-by-side on the same subjects, all three cameras mounted on the same tripod, trying to match frame between them, so you'll be able to see the difference between CF24 and 24P very soon.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2004, 07:50 PM   #17
Barry Wan Kenobi

<<<-- My guess is that 60i with Magic Bullet will look better than 24CF -->>>
That's my guess as well. The rendering time is much longer with MB, but CF has to try to do the job in real-time, and I suspect that that's what's causing the weird motion distortion. Potentially Magic Bullet or DVFilm Maker can take more time to do the job "right" (but that's only an untested theory right now)...

But as part of our testing we'll be using CF24 against post-converted 60i to see how they compare.

<<<-- Really, if this is your film, you can't make the decision until you've done a side by side test and worked out the highest quality and best production path. -->>>
Most definitely! If you're going to put a year of your life (and who knows how much money) into making a movie, you definitely want to make the equipment decision based on your own eyes, not just on others' opinions.

<<<--"Cinematically" HDV is never going to look like film (HDCAM is pretty darn close) but it will look better than DV which is your other choice. -->>>
I don't agree here. HDCAM looks nothing like film, when shot in 60i. When shot in 60i, HDCAM gives that "window to the world" effect, the startling realism that HD is famous for. But that's not cinematic, it looks nothing like film.

24P HDCAM/VariCam can look quite filmlike.

"true" 24P HDV would look more filmlike than 60i HDCAM.

I've got some 60i HDV clips shot side-by-side with 24P XL2 and 24P DVX footage, and when you watch them you'd look at the HDV and say "wow, that's detailed", but with the XL2/DVX stuff you'd say "wow, that looks like film."
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1