Resolution loss and low light response at 1/30 or 1/25? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 16th, 2004, 05:43 PM   #16
Major Player

component hey?

could it be that it is uncompressed signal i.e before the mpeg2 hit thus your seeing no res loss?

I know this whole issuse was raised before about compressed not compressed component output, please lets not start that again..
Anhar Miah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2004, 08:33 PM   #17
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Toke Lahti : <<<-- Originally posted by John Jay : its more an interlacing thing, than format. If the speed drops below the field rate than it delivers the dominant field. -->>>

But is it like this with fx1?
I got a quick chance to test a little a bit of my fellow workers fx1 and I also noticed that it's resolution didn't lower to half with slower shutter.

I didn't have resolution charts with me or anything but we shot high resolution poster with fine print in it and monitored it with hp's L2335 monitor (with component hd connection).

I didn't see any diffrence in resolution.
How is this possible?
Are the ccd's after all progressive?

Eg. if shutter speed is 1/12 s, exposure & readout time for one field is 1/24 s, so camera has to record that one field to both fields of one frame on tape. For PAL tape mechanism has to write one field for every 1/50 s, so info from another field does not get soon enough. Recording two even fields and then two odd field would lead to 25 Hz flicker problems.
So slow shutter with interlaced ccd's means always that you can use only one field. Right? -->>>

If you grab a still from footage shot below 1/50 and examine it in say Photoshop with a shot at 1/50 you will see a difference...

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 06:31 AM   #18
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by John Jay : If you grab a still from footage shot below 1/50 and examine it in say Photoshop with a shot at 1/50 you will see a difference... -->>>

Why I didn't see the diffrence with the monitor?
It has a resolution of 1920x1200, so if the resolution drops to half, it should be _very_ noticable.
If the resolution does not drop to half, does the camera then have progressive ccd's?
Then Reel-stream mod would become very interesting...
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2004, 04:04 PM   #19
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Toke Lahti :

Why I didn't see the diffrence with the monitor?
It has a resolution of 1920x1200, so if the resolution drops to half, it should be _very_ noticable.
If the resolution does not drop to half, does the camera then have progressive ccd's?
Then Reel-stream mod would become very interesting... -->>>

I dont know, but if you post some grabs I will attempt to answer your Q

Also if it was progressive at slower shutter speed it would look like you boosted gain by 6db - did you see extra noise?

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 02:14 PM   #20
Contributor

Barry Green has demonstrated that there is resolution loss with CineFrame. Here ˇs the thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&postid=255005
Old December 20th, 2004, 06:31 PM   #21
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Rodriguez : Barry Green has demonstrated that there is resolution loss with CineFrame. -->>>

Thanks for the link. It's a bit surprising that CF's resolution is a bit better than it could theoretically be at least without any smart DI(>540 lines).
But I wasn't talking about CF, I was talking about slow shutter speeds and I haven't seen a chart with them...
Toke Lahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2004, 07:06 PM   #22
Contributor

> I was talking about slow shutter speeds

Hmmm now that you mention it, so was I initially when I started this thread. But, from what I have read, it seems that when operating in CineFrame mode the shutter speed does decrease, at least Steve Mullen's article seems to suggest it. I guess it's time to read the manual.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1