Motion blur on FX1 and VX2100? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old December 24th, 2004, 10:34 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Motion blur on FX1 and VX2100?

Season's greetings to all.

Yesterday at Fry's, I was lucky to hold this FX1, beautiful camera.

I am concerned about the motion blur anytime I panned.

What was surprising is that it happened in both HDV and DV modes. I thought this was an issue only for the HDV mode.

Right next to the FX1 was a VX2100 and I did a similar test and again was surprised to see this motion blur. Maybe what I am seeing was not the motion blur some people are referring to as why would this happen on the VX2100? I then tested a GL2 and did not see this blurring when the camera was panned. Modes were set on auto for all.

I viewed this motion blur on the LCD. Would this be what is recorded to tape?

Would I get this blurring effect with let's say performers on a stage dancing or a band performing, running around on stage?

One last question, would I be able to use my old NP-F750 batteries on the Sony FX1 or VX2100?
David Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 12:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

it may have been the monitor and were just unable to keep up with so much info. at the dv expo in la, i was able to pan the camera in hdv mode and saw no bluring. the real test would of been to have a tape in the camera, record the pan the play it back. even then, rember, you will need a monitor that can handle the full rez. most of these monitors in stores that they call hd only have a rez of 1024x768.
Old December 24th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for your feedback Darrell.

The blurring effect was seen on the flip out LCD on the camcorder itself.
David Gomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2004, 02:26 PM   #4
Trustee

I suspect what you were seeing is simply related to the slightly sluggish update rateof the LCD viewfinder itself, rather than what the camera is actually recording.

Try and find an opportunity to see the playback image from these cameras on a decent-sized monitor ...
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2004, 04:59 AM   #5
Regular Crew

You should set the shutter speed manually to 1/60 or 1/50 (PAL) of a second. The FX1 and XL2 default to 1/30 or 1/25 (atleast in manual, and out of the box) which is SLOW shutter and results in too much motion blur. It seems strange that you had too much of it on auto, but I really haven't used auto at all. And if you still have too much motion blur, set it to even faster shutter, but this will always require some more light.

Shutter is one of the things that is good to be set to manual, because it affects the feel of the image so much, that you want to be sure about your look.
Joonas Kiviharju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2005, 10:30 PM   #6
Major Player

i own 2 HDR-FX1's and yes there is a ton of motion blur in any pans. just like at the movies any time there is a pan there is motion blur, i guess you just have to learn to live with it and use higher shutter speeds...
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2005, 08:03 AM   #7
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Darrell Essex : most of these monitors in stores that they call hd only have a rez of 1024x768. -->>>

I think you will find 1280x720 to be the most common resolution for LCD and Plasma HD screens.

I didn't see that anyone answered David's other question. According to the specs, the FX-1 uses the same batteries as the VX-2100, so your NPF-750 should work.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1