HDR-FX1 hack: lens disassembly pics - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 4th, 2005, 10:20 PM   #16
Contributor

Is the sensor size similar to that of 16mm film? It would make sense if the mount could use lenses intended for 16mm cameras, perhaps. Just a thought straight out of my head... I have never even used a 16mm camera myself!
Old January 4th, 2005, 10:51 PM   #17
Major Player

you fricken psycho. i don't under stand why anyone would want to do that but..... ok
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:43 AM   #18
Major Player

friggen psychos
Old January 5th, 2005, 01:47 AM   #19
Regular Crew

If you are using 35mm lenses, all your lenses are going to be really tele. As with the XL2, they will be ~7 times more tele than what it says on the lense (in comparison to view angle.) So you will not have a wide angle at all. Using video lenses is a better idea, but they'll also be somewhat tele. So I would suggest anyone wanting to do this, think twice if you need a wide angle!

But, great work. Looking forward to some more modifications.
Joonas Kiviharju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:13 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I salute your creativity....but you really did this only for a telephoto option? Century optics 1.6 Tele-converter, anyone? I tried to enlarge the example pic where you were focusing on the keyboard, i saw no zoom level marker on the LCD, am i correct?

I am not really an expert cameraman/AC but why are you switching out a Zeiss for a Nikon? It seems to me the only thing I would rather have in front of the CCD is some glass produced by panavision (again, only speaking from my limited exp).

Anyways, I again tried out the .4 fisheye from century optics on my FX1 today, century makes some great glass, really professional. Im brabbing the .32 fisheye and the 1.6 later this month.

I guess what Im saying is it seems more reasonable to me to just grab an adapter, but whatever floats your boat.

One thing i was wondering from this experiment...is there a way to easily and cleanly remove the on board microphone without any kind of gaping hole? that might be something I would be interest later on.

<<<-- Originally posted by Filip Kovcin : i will do the same the very next day when my camera finally arrives!!!!!
-->>>

yeah somehow i doubt that your first urge after buying an the camera will be to break it open. you have no experience in operating the camera, why would you change out one of (if not the) most important acccesory from day 1?
that just strikes me as a little ignorant. Sometimes I wish we could have an FX1 forum for hearsay, "my friend told me..." stories and general rubbish spouted by people who do not own the camera. Not to sound harsh, but I have had to sift through a lot of blatantly false information, misstated facts and garbage from people who were just talking out of their ass. It really is detrimental to someone who is looking to research this pricey investment.
Evan Estay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 02:47 AM   #21
Major Player

to Evan

sorry Evan, but with your permition - i WILL do whatever i want to do with my camera.
even to throw it thru window if i wish. (but i will not :))

if you do not beleive - sorry. that's your opinion. i do not want to push anyone to beleive me.

if you need to now why i'm so entusiastic about that - it's because with this dissasembling you can do whatever you want - to use 35mm still lenses, to use 2/3" video lenses, to use aldu/agus adapter more easier, to "glue" mini 35 directly to ccd without fighting with normal - already connected with the camera body - lenses (it will short all unit), and probably you can put CCD upside down to have instantly proper image when using aldu/agus adapters etc.

and this is fantastic.

but if you want to see my dissasembling - i'm kindly invite you to poland to dissasemble Z1 together.

all the best,

filip
Filip Kovcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 04:20 AM   #22
Major Player

Re: to Evan

I guess for some people it's just like customizing a car.

Some mod their stock standards with fairings or mags, while some go way out....dropping in new blocks and all!!

I just have the quezzie feeling that doing this to a FX-1 or Z1 is a bit like customizing something like the Mazda RX-8....

Sony may not realize it yet, but I feel this camera is a piece of classic technology, and the gains you get from messing with classic technology are usually of very minor consequence.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:15 AM   #23
Regular Crew

just to explain why: I own this camera and I am very happy of the quality of it. I work with BetacamSP and DV and I am used to digital betacam as well. This is far better of all of them.
The weakness of this camera is indeed the lens: not too bad but not as good as the electronics. The main defect is a color fringe (red/gren) that sometimes appears and a little soft focus when not used at totally wide or tele zoom (mid tele is not so good).

If you make nature documentary you need to switch to serious telephoto lens and the add-on converters are not so good. The same for macro...

I have always made lens adapters for my cameras since an old Hitachi 3 tubes in the '80.. Hope in a few day to put some images talken with this modification.. bye, Matte
Matteo Ricchetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:20 AM   #24
Major Player

to Steve

<<<-- Originally posted by Steve Crisdale :
Sony may not realize it yet, but I feel this camera is a piece of classic technology, and the gains you get from messing with classic technology are usually of very minor consequence. -->>>

steve, i agree on this what you said, i also beleive that this peace is again THE classic. like many other sony models.

but if you can do something WITOUT destroing (at least i beleive that nothing will be destroyed durnig that process) there is no problem.

you stil have the camera, you have the all parts around - you can use it the way you like it. and if you can and know how to put it back when needed and your camera still works... who cares.

anyhow - i beleive that every owner of the camera can do whatever he wants to do with it - if this is not dangerous for other people's healt (and his own fo course).

just a thought

all the best,

filip
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:24 AM   #25
Major Player

to matteo

<<<-- Originally posted by Matteo Ricchetti : I work with BetacamSP and DV and I am used to digital betacam as well. This is far better of all of them.
-->>>

matteo,

will you use B4 2/3" mount on your unit or what?

(BTW i'm also working in beta world)

filip
Old January 5th, 2005, 05:59 AM   #26
New Boot

Evan I understand that you wouldn't want to experiment this way with your camera, but people are free to do whatever they want with theirs. And I personally think it's rather interesting.
Penfold Plum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 06:00 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Matteo...

Sorry I am not following you quite all the way. Your saying a flaw of the stock Zeiss has something to do with the way it renders red/green colors? I can kind of follow you on the soft focus in mid tele (but again, keep in mind im not really a DP/AC)

Have you been able to shoot any sample clips with the new lens? If you could post a clip or two I know the entire community would be grateful. Also, what particular Nikon lens are you using?

edit:
penfold: that wasnt neccesarily a comment on this thread but this forum in general. I mean....this is actually one the of the best explained, documented and techinical threads with real world results I have seen! :P
Evan Estay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 11:55 AM   #28
Major Player

Everybody is calling them crazy and insane....

Why?

How do you know they don't have a $750,000.00 budget to shoot a horror film in March 2005???

And they told their Exec-producer that they will use $3500.00 of their $750,000.00 to make some non-destroying experiments to get that perfect shot...and if it works, they will buy 5 of these cameras and do the same if its a success? (Spike Lee used 20 brand new minidv cameras on Bamboozled).

Everybody is not a wedding videographer who has to beg their wife to dip into the savings account to buy gear, guys! *smile*

- Shannon W. Rawls
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #29
Major Player

ok......... did you find pee pee in your cheerios?
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2005, 12:17 PM   #30
Trustee

Well, Shannon, of course you are right.

But as a prosumer, it still rattles me right down to the bones to see something I worked many hours to buy, treated that way. Yes, they probably know what they are doing. But it is a fearful thing to see.

I used to rip things apart when I was a kid. When I went into the Army, I learned to put stuff back together.

Now, I pretty much use things they way they came from the factory.
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1