SONY HDV cameras have Audio issue? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 12th, 2005, 08:43 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

As far as I'm concerned this is a stillborn horse, Boyd.

<< Again, all I am saying is the spec says one thing, and the product does not meet it. >>

Ahem, the product allegedly does not meet it.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet! I think I should put this in big, bold letters on my site. And as much respect as I have for Jan van der Meer (having met him personally and knowing him for many years), I would still rather wait for another technical conclusion to echo his from here in the States. And that has not happened yet.

Carlos Martinez has the best take on this. And I understand that for some folks, such a rumor may be a deal-breaker which would stop them from buying a camera. That's certainly one's own prerogative. But be advised that we do not condone individual crusades in this community. If there really is a problem, no doubt Sony will fix it (quietly as they have always done). What you have to ask yourself is, whether or not the camera's performance is adequate for what you're doing right now.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:40 AM   #17
Major Player

I respect you may think its no big deal, but, if I paid for a 3 inch cup, and got a 2.75, it does not matter if I do not think I need the 3 inch today, I paid for 3 and would not want to eliminate my need in the future for what I paid for.

I sure am surprised that it seems people are just, for some reason, defending Sony. What if this same issue was another mfg? Again, I love, and have the sony products. But, as an engineer working with customers all day long, trying to tell them its okay to not get what they have paid for, no matter if they may never use the feature, is something my customers do not let me get away with.

Dave
Dave Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:48 AM   #18
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven Fokkinga : Hey Carlos,

Do you think a Beachtek DXA-8 would do the trick?
Also, there is the problem with the FX1 that the audio is compressed. But I guess for dialogue it would suffice, and you won't have to go through the pain of syncing everything.

-->>>

Hi Steven,

The DXA8 certainly would do it.

Don't worry about the audio being MPEG-2 compressed, as it won't impair your sound. Think of it as if it is linear.

Just be careful with your levels: don't let them peak beyond the penualtimate bar on the FX1.

My advice has always been to do principal audio in MD, also sending the same signal to the video camera as a backup.

I know it's more complicated and will demand more editing hours, but the results are so much better!

Let's face it: we are going the HDV way because we want more quality, and I think using your camcorder audio as you sound-track is a compromise. I think it's not having the same attitude with your audio as you are having with your image. And that would be valid even if you were recording video in a CineAlta and your audio on their audio tracks.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

Please remember the FX1 and Z1 have the same picture quality, but the FX1 is a consumer camera, albeit a powerful one. The audio gets put onto both channels regardless of onboard mic or an adaptor going in (like BeachTek, etc.). And though you can control the audio, there is a limiter of some sort which keeps loud audio from going loud, which I'm not a fan of. And that's built into the FX1, but I'd have no problems doing a film and recording the audio to DAT.

heath
Old January 12th, 2005, 10:59 AM   #20
Trustee

<<<-- Originally posted by Heath McKnight : The audio gets put onto both channels regardless of onboard mic or an adaptor going in (like BeachTek, etc.). And though you can control the audio, there is a limiter of some sort which keeps loud audio from going loud, which I'm not a fan of. And that's built into the FX1, but I'd have no problems doing a film and recording the audio to DAT.
-->>>

By both channels I don't know if you mean that the SAME audio goes into both channels, because that is not the case. But it doesn't allow you independent volume setting for each channel, as the Z1 apparently allows. That's easily avoided by using an external mixer/preamp, of course.

When you are in MANUAL there is not limiter as far as I know. But when AGC is on, one channel level may vary if the other channel is clipping.

Sony is quite unusual (in the bad sense) when they design the audio stages in their equipments. Their portable MD recorders do not let you adjust levels when you start recording, which you can bypass using external equipment. But why don't they do it properly?...

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 11:17 AM   #21
MPS Digital Studios

AGC, that's it. Can you turn it off? We didn't see anything that would allow us to.

Yes, same audio goes on both channels.

heath
Old January 12th, 2005, 12:06 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Heath on the back left side of the FX1 is a little panel. When you open this there is a switch to turn the inputs to manual and a small dial to set level. The clear panel on the side lets you see how the switch is set and where the control dial is set. The channels are true stereo but the level control is common, that is, no balance or individual channel control( something the Z1 will provide). Using an external mixer the controls can be set so that the external mixer level meters can be used in a more useful way. Use a test generator on the mixer, display audio level on the FX1 meters and set levels to your desire. With the control switched to auto there is standard AGC, with the control set to manual I believe there is an absolute limiter to stop unwelcome digital overload noise if it occurs much like the MD's have but unlike a lot of DAT's which will overload and produce a very unpleasant digital noise. I use a Berhinger MXB1002 mixer since most all my shoots are on a tripod with all sorts of other gear a small mixer is no problem. There are other mixers in this class and have the advantage of providing a lot of inputs to mix and feed to the camera.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2005, 09:39 PM   #23
MPS Digital Studios

Ron,

Thanks for the heads up! I can't believe I didn't see it!

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1