Shooting slow mo footage on the FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 9th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting slow mo footage on the FX1

How is this best achieved. i think I am right that the FX1 only shoots at 25p/30p but I have heard that it is possible to overcrank to 60p in post-production. Is this true and, if so, how does this software work as surely the camera has not shot enough fps?
Tim Davison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:57 AM   #2
Major Player

Your best with that camera is 1080 60i.
It doesn't have 720 60P.
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:28 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Khoi. Can you do get a better frame rate in post production then? Am I right in thinking that 1P (frame) = 2i (fields)?
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #4
Major Player

yeah 1 frame is 2 fields when you are shooting 60i, (interlaced) the more fields or frames/sec the better the slomo will be, since the FX1 does not do 60P, you are best using 1080 60i instead of 24P or 30P (progressive), the only way you can make more frame/sec in post is to shoot 60i and deinterlaced that footage and take it into a 24P timeline project and change the speed to 40% and that will give you good slomo, but this assuming that you shoot normally in 24P and know what kind of shot you will be using for slomo in order to change the frame rate to 60i.
Old September 9th, 2009, 02:20 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Note that the FX1 doesn't do any form of P.
Adam Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 12:53 AM   #6
Inner Circle

You've presumably got a PAL FX1 Tim, so I'd ignore the 60i talk, it just makes the camera less light sensitive and the slo-mo less fluid.

Best thing (in my view) is to shoot at the default 50i, that way your camera records everything that happens in front of the lens. If you shoot at 1/100th sec shutter speed, you only capture half of everything that happens, and any slo-mo extrapolation is going to have to work that much harder at smoothing the footage.

And Adam's right - avoid the silly pseudo-progressive settings on the FX1, they'll just spoil your footage.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #7
Trustee

Hola Tom, i didn't get if u suggest or not to put the shutte at 1/100 (sorry 4 the misunderstood but sometimes english language foe me.....lol)
thx
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Best thing (in my view) is to shoot at the default 1/50th second shutter speed if you want the smoothest slow motion.
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:08 AM   #9
Trustee

Hola Tom, i guess to get a good slow -mo on a day light shoot is ok 1/1oo th speed right?

Let me know
Marcus Martell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Use 1/100th sec shutter speed if you want jerkier slo-mo. Remember that when you shoot at 1/100th sec you only capture half real time, and slo-mo programs need to interpolote frames, so don't give them less info to start with.
Old September 13th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #11
Major Player

We are working the slo-mo always in post-production. We of course always try to shoot in 50 shutter but to have smooth slow motion, we are using either the Time Warp effect from Premiere or the Twixtor plugin. Both of them have their advantages and disadvantages but they create super smooth movement, even in extremely low speeds. Regarding your question about how the software is working, the answer is, morphing! The software actually creates the in-between frames with morphing techniques. The most serious downside is of course the rendering times. If for example you're working with HDV, 15 minutes of Time-Warped footage need at least 6 hours using a Quad-Core.
Dimitris Mantalias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 07:08 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khoi Pham View Post
Your best with that camera is 1080 60i.
It doesn't have 720 60P.
Sorry for basic question but why would you film in 720 when you can film in 1080?
Old September 22nd, 2009, 11:28 AM   #13
Trustee

Are there any frame smoothing / slow mo add-ins for Vegas Pro?
Jim Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:18 AM   #14
Regular Crew

How does Twixtor Express compare with Twixtor Pro? I only want to use it for slowing down clips and therefore not too fussed with any additional effects...
Old September 23rd, 2009, 03:42 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias View Post
We are working the slo-mo always in post-production. We of course always try to shoot in 50 shutter but to have smooth slow motion, we are using either the Time Warp effect from Premiere or the Twixtor plugin. Both of them have their advantages and disadvantages but they create super smooth movement, even in extremely low speeds.

What are the main disadvantages of Twixtor, is it just rendering times?
Tim Davison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1