I'm about to buy an HDR-FX1 because I don't know any better. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 4th, 2005, 09:24 AM   #16
Major Player

Pulling the trigger today on the FX1 along with the DVRIG Pro and a Beachtek XLR box, not sure which yet.

Wish I could also snag a matte box, but I can seem to find a clear answer as to what's the best for the FX1 and what will even fit.

Anyway, pretty excited about this jump.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2005, 01:18 PM   #17
Major Player

Placed my order this morning:

FX1
Beachtek DXA-4
DVRig Pro
Pertro Case
UV Filter

Ouch.
Old February 5th, 2005, 02:59 PM   #18
Trustee

At least you made an informed decision. But the price takes a while to get used to, doesn't it.

(Bryan and I got together yesterday and I let him play with my FX1 a bit. )

I did learn one thing. I need to either get better at compressing to WM9, or I need to set up my Linkplayer on the network so I can play Cineform AVI over the network to it. The picture from the camcorder had much less interlacing problems than the WM9.
Old February 5th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #19
Major Player

Thanks for your help Steven.

You also sold me on the bag, so you should contant B&H about your fee. :)
Old February 6th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #20
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Steven Gotz : At least you made an informed decision. But the price takes a while to get used to, doesn't it.

(Bryan and I got together yesterday and I let him play with my FX1 a bit. )

I did learn one thing. I need to either get better at compressing to WM9, or I need to set up my Linkplayer on the network so I can play Cineform AVI over the network to it. The picture from the camcorder had much less interlacing problems than the WM9. -->>>

Whether this is of any use to you I know not; but, I found TMPGEnc 3 XPress (the encoder - not the player) to be the best WMV9 encoder. Simple, straightforward, relatively fast and better quality than trying to find the sweet spot on the options using Microsofts own encoder.

I'll admit I haven't used it on any FX-1e stuff yet, so I'll not vouch for any lack of interlacing problems, but it was the best of the bunch with the 720p 30fps clips from my HD10u.
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2005, 10:22 AM   #21
Trustee

The value of using the built in Adobe Media Encoder is that it is one step. No encoding to a file and then using another application. But with some practice, I am sure I will find the right settings.

I will give TMPGEnc a try. As well as a few other options.

In the meantime, I also need to get it set up to play the Cineform AVI directly.
Old February 6th, 2005, 01:12 PM   #22
New Boot

Petrol bag

Thanks for pointing out the Petrol bag in this thread. I just ordered one from B&H as well. Two commisions are due. I was going to get the Sony bag, but in reading descriptions closely it looks like for $10 more than the Sony@ $149 vs. $159 for the Petrol .....B&H is including what seems to be the $84 Petrol Rain cover for the FX1 free!!!. It's not seemingly in the same bag description at Adorama.
It isn't clear from the Sony description if the the Sony rain cover is for the case or the camera, but the Petrol is definitely for the camera and a professional level cover even if the Sony one is for the camera as well. Thanks again. ....
Old February 6th, 2005, 01:21 PM   #23
Major Player

Didn't even notice about the raincover!

Sweet!
Old February 6th, 2005, 04:24 PM   #24
Trustee

That's new since I bought mine.

So far, they lowered the price $200 and added additional freebies.

I couldn't wait, but it is hard to look at this stuff anymore.

At least with my TV the prices were advertised, so when they went down, I got $200 back just by going in and showing my receipt.

No such luck at B&H since it isn't advertised.
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:20 AM   #25
Major Player

My FX1 and all my goodies are out for delivery according to UPS.

To the wrong address.

Aggghhh!!!
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:05 AM   #26
New Boot

Now that kinda sux huh... But I'll be waiting to hear that your first production with that bad boy is HD broadcast quality.

Motion Synonymous To Thought
stickandmove.org
Jeff Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:20 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Parker
But I'll be waiting to hear that your first production with that bad boy is HD broadcast quality.
I don't know anything about the specs of 'HD brodcast quality' but I can say that it will probably be some time before one of our finished productions is in HD.

While we get up to speed on the camera, and waiting on a native HDV solution for FCP, we'll be shooting in HDV and downconverting and editing in SD.
Old February 9th, 2005, 09:05 PM   #28
New Boot

Yeah... DNxHD hardware not doing so well on the MAC I hear. Apple still kinda dragging their feet I guess. Can always go PC. (That was a joke now).

At anyrate... awesome cam. Have fun!

Motion Synonymous To Thought
stickandmove.org
Jeff Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 10:38 PM   #29
Regular Crew

What kind of low light capibilities does the FX1 have. I've heard that it only goes to 5 lux. Is this true?? Also I've heard that the SD video is actually WORSE than the PD 170's video. Can't be can it???
Brian Bechard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2005, 11:29 PM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Parker
Yeah... DNxHD hardware not doing so well on the MAC I hear. Apple still kinda dragging their feet I guess. Can always go PC. (That was a joke now).

At anyrate... awesome cam. Have fun!
It's got nothing to do with that really. I've been converting and editing the MT2 files in FCP that people have posted and feel very comfortable working with HD in FCP right now. It'll be great when it's got HDV support native, so as to knock out that extra step of conversion.

It's more that my clients aren't going to be able to have HD delivered to them just yet. I'd love to start finishing in HD for them, but until they can play it, it's going to be an SD DVD.

I might go ahead and edit in HD and convert at the end, haven't decided on the workflow yet.

And I switched from PCs about a year ago. Moved the entire office over. I ain't going back. ;)
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1