Shoot w/two FX1's at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old January 30th, 2005, 11:59 PM   #1
Wrangler

Shoot w/two FX1's

After shooting with two FX1s last tuesday, I finally arrived at a rough cut late Friday night. I directed this, but I come from a film/camera dept. background, so I'm my own D.P. too.

For those who haven't seen my other posts, I'll let you all guess about the slow motion! Also, this is a rough cut. There's some dead spots in the first two sequences that I have to spruce up, so hold your directing commentary please :-)

Nate Weaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 12:37 AM   #2
Regular Crew

awesome. that footage looks tight. how about alittle info on the camera settings and lighting/filters used?
i'm guessing the slow mo is %50, achieved by deinterlacing and making each field a frame??

it could easily pass for film. especially at that resolution.. how does the footage hold up when viewed at full res? still as dynamic? or does it get into home video territory?

good stuff.
eric
Eric Gorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 01:45 AM   #3
Regular Crew

"I'll let you guess about the slow motion!"

I found the post where he talked about doing slow motion here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38145

Pretty clever. Here's a snippet:

"2-I needed slow motion for this project. I decided to try (and then tested last week) shooting in 30i, and then slowing down and simultaneously downconverting in After Effects. The idea was to treat each HD field like an SD frame, thereby giving 60fps source material to work with."

Nate, give us more info. The slo-mo was great.
Hayden Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2005, 03:46 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Nate, great video!

And the slo-mo trick is amazing! I read how to do it but i have some problem understanding the meaning of the "simultaneous" downconverting procces. Maybe itīs because im still awake... And with some good sleep will get it.

Did you used the mini35? Im sorry to make so low questions... Im really tired. But the prime mission of this post was to congratulate you for your stupendous work and i think is done. Better questions after resting in bed for couple of hours.
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:56 AM   #5
Trustee

Hey, thanks for posting Nate. Great job!

The one comment I have is that the footage overall looks a little dark. Was this on purpose? Was it done in post? How did you light it???

I'm flying out to LA on Friday, so if you're up for a beer let me know!

Thanks again!
Old January 31st, 2005, 11:02 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Nate Weaver, any chance you could post the video at full rez somewhere?
would love to see it at 1920x1080.
or how about a short m2t file?
Old January 31st, 2005, 07:14 PM   #7
Wrangler

Thanks for all the compliments, everybody. It's very cool to hear kind words.

So I shot all the slow motion stuff in 30i, and simultaneously slowed down and downconverted to DV in After Effects. I originally did the slow down by applying time stretch (40%), but AE was having problems doing this for a whole 40 minute tape. In the end I used the conform fps feature in the Interpret Footage dialog (12fps).

My comps in AE were 23.98fps, which I then added pulldown to in the render stage. Going from 60 fields to 24 frames allowed for a 2.5x slowdown.

All band performance was CF30, and was stright downconverted to 29.97 DV. I edited in FCP in DV sequences. All color correction was also in FCP, along with the vignette effect.

The web version is too dark and too saturated...on NTSC it looks much better. This is the first video I've done where I think I'll have to make a custom colored version for web.

I only lit the band for the performance...no lighting for the running/hearse shots. I had 1 1.2K HMI, and 2 4bank Kinos...and my lighting scheme only started to look good as the sun was going down. Instruments like that are no match for mid-day sunlight.

Also, for the one person who asked, there is no HD version of this, mainly because I don't need one. I used the FX1 for the extra resolution after downconvert, and for the field/frame slow motion trick.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 04:45 AM   #8
Trustee

Nate, that was a fantastic video. An extremely good example of a simple concept brilliantly executed.

Could you tell us how long it took to shoot? You US guys are so far ahead of the UK for these types of music videos.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:05 AM   #9
New Boot

Another FX1 music video

Hey there neighbor... Cool stuff. Like it! Love the location too. Is that over off of Santa Fe and about 6th st.?

Motion Synonymous To Thought
stickandmove.org
Jeff Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:56 AM   #10
Major Player

that was sick! man you did a great job. how did you avoid any motion blur? because thats one major setback of the HDR-FX1. i saw none in the video.

joel
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:47 PM   #11
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Simon Wyndham : Nate, that was a fantastic video. An extremely good example of a simple concept brilliantly executed.

Could you tell us how long it took to shoot?-->>>

Thanks. It was a one day shoot, first shot at about 8am and last at about 5:30pm
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:50 PM   #12
Wrangler

Re: Another FX1 music video

<<<-- Originally posted by Jeff Parker : Hey there neighbor... Cool stuff. Like it! Love the location too. Is that over off of Santa Fe and about 6th st.? -->>>

Somewhere around there. I think somebody said we were under the 6th street bridge, on the east side. Somebody else scouted it for me, so I didn't get too familiar.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 02:57 PM   #13
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corral : that was sick! man you did a great job. how did you avoid any motion blur? because thats one major setback of the HDR-FX1. i saw none in the video.

joel -->>>

Well, if anything the way I slowed down the video would have accentuated any MPEG-2 motion blur...you're seeing each field for a longer period of time. I see the MPEG blur, but it's not BAD. Not a show stopper to me, unlike some folks. Or put another way, I prefer to see the glass as half-full.

Anyway, all I did was shoot a 120th shutter on the slow-mo stuff. The idea was to replicate the shutter speed a film camera would have had if you were shooting film at 60fps.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:12 PM   #14
Major Player

120th thats good to know, your the second guy who has talked about shooting in 120th. i'll try that next time i am shooting some surf footage with my HDR-FX1.

thanks,

joel
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 03:19 PM   #15
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Joel Corral : 120th thats good to know, your the second guy who has talked about shooting in 120th. i'll try that next time i am shooting some surf footage with my HDR-FX1.
-->>>

No no, don't be shooting normal footage in 120th just to counteract the MPEG motion blur. The 120th shutter will impart a whole 'nother look to it that won't be normal.

That is, unless you're going slo-mo with it.

I had an inexperienced cameraman on Warped tour that shot the whole summer using shutter speed to control exposure. I just about killed him when he got back and I saw the footage, because most of it was handheld and the greater than 1/50th shutter speed made all his stuff very hard to watch in some spots.
Nate Weaver is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1