Clarification-FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 2nd, 2005, 08:31 PM   #1
Major Player

Clarification-FX1

Hi all,

I was just glancing throught the latest DV magazine.. And the review article on the Sony HDR-FX1.. In the Pros/Cons section it states the camera has "legacy SD support".. I was under the impression this camera only shot 16/9 HDV footage.. No SD (Standard Definition) mode..Maybe the camera shoots SD, but only in 16/9 format??
Can anyone clarify what the SD legacy support is?? And does the camera shoot SD ??

Thanks
Mike M.
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:02 PM   #2
Trustee

The camera shoots DV if you want it to. I prefer to shoot HDV and then use it in a DV project if I need to.

Choose Wide Record or not, it is up to you.
Steven Gotz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Wrangler

Yes the FX1 shoots SD DV in both 4:3 and 16:9 and can record in both SP and LP modes. Read the review more carefully, Adam even discusses the SD mode which he says is very good. The pro version of the camera, the Z1, can also shoot SD in DVCAM mode.

See also Chris Hurd's very complete comparison of the two cameras which clarifies many other questions here: http://hdvinfo.net/articles/sonyhdrfx1/compare.php
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

The FX1 records HDV / DV (SP) / DV (LP), while the Z1U records HDV / DVCAM / DV (SP).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1