Z1 noisy audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 12th, 2005, 12:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Z1 noisy audio

My audio is extremely noisy and there is a loud hiss. And yes, all this gets recorded to tape.

This is the case with 3 different microphoes: a lav, a cardioid condenser, and a Sure SM58.

I don't hear the hiss or the other noise when I switch to the onboard mic.

Ther "other noise" I am talking about besides the hiss sounds like "static".

I have went through all my settings and no matter if I drop the audio levels or use a pad I still get the same noise (just less of it of course).

Anyone else have this issue? This noise was not on the FX1 I used for several days last month.

I also noticed that I have to set the trim to +12 in oder to get a strong signal from all the mics I tested. Leaving the trim at 0 or even +6 is way too low. Is this normal?

Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 01:10 AM   #2
Major Player

Whooooaa nelly....

I hope nothing is wrong with your Z1U.

If I plug my AT897 mic directly into the Channel 1 with a short XLR cable, and turn Phantom power on and have the input set as "MIC", then my stuff sounds SWEET. (and I am a sound guy, so I know). If I set my trim any louder then 0db, then it becomes TOO loud, so I keep it at 0db.

When I plug my Live Level 10ch. Behringer mixer (or my mackie) into Channels 1 & 2, turn phantom power OFF, and switch inputs to "LINE", then it's not as crisp as the MIC level (odd ain't it) but still great levels, no white noise, no reverb, no delays, and sounds fine.

Someone else was having an issue on how to set his cameras controls, and this is what I told him:

OK,

1. do you have "Mic Phantom" power switched ON (located at the front of the camera?)
2. in the audio menu, did you select EXTERANL mic?
3. in the Audio menu under XLR setup, do you have Channel 1 & 2 "Input Level" set to MIC (not line)
4. in the Audio menu under XLR setup, do you have the "Input Trim" set at 0db (no -18db, -12db or -6db)
5. do you have the "Audio Level" wheels at "5" or higher? (on the back of the camera)
6. do you have your "Volume" turned up? (+ and - button under the LCD pad)

If this is all done, then you should get great audio AND hear it loud and crispy clear in your Headphones. I use Sony V6 (same as 7506), and it sounds great. If it's still not working, you may have a problem, and I suggest you take it to the store and check it on the demo with these exact settings as compared to yours.

I never heard back from him about it, but he continued to post on other topics, so I guess all ended up well for him.

I hope you end up well too.

- ShannonRawls.com
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 02:09 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Well, now that I let my camera sit for a while most of the noise has left channel 1 and channel 2 is clean.

Problem is my headphones are TOO good I think.

But still, channel 1 has some static while channel 2 is very clean.

Is it possible for a mic to cause damage to your preamps?
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:13 AM   #4

Is it possible for a mic to cause damage to your preamps?

Not really. Potentially if you have a third Phantom power device, and it sends voltage down a line that already has voltage on it, yes. But it's unlikely.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

DSE,

Your audio is clean and hiss free?
Old February 12th, 2005, 03:09 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Dumb question time...

Did you try a different XLR cable?
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2005, 03:49 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Yes, tried a fresh XLR and same problem. And of course my Channel 2 is clean. The only problem is Channel 1.

I also tried drinking a few beers and then checked back later to see if it would go away but that did not work either. :(
Old February 12th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
I also tried drinking a few beers and then checked back later to see if it would go away but that did not work either. :(
greg,

this above is my favourite part!
Old February 14th, 2005, 12:37 PM   #9
Major Player

I noticed the same problem on the Z1 I was testing...

BAAAAD...
http://www.fictis.net
info@fictis.net
Eric Bilodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2005, 10:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Eric Bilodeau : I noticed the same problem on the Z1 I was testing...

BAAAAD... -->>>

I will have a fresh Z1 in 2 days so we will see if that one is ok. Your static noise is also only in channel 1 or is it in both channels?
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:49 AM   #11

My Z1 is hiss free. I'd never have kept it/stood for it if it wasn't. I'm using AT899's, AT 897, BK4011, 4001, AT 831, and that's about it, so far. No hiss/noise, nada. What are your level settings, AGC, etc?
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2005, 01:28 AM   #12
Regular Crew

DSE,

I have tried various settings and mics to see if the static noise would leave but no matter what I did it remained. It also records to tape. The audio on the FX1 I used last month was clean.
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:30 PM   #13
Regular Crew

UPDATE: I got my new Z1 today and the audio is clean in both channels. B&H handled the exchange fast and without any hassle.
Greg Jacobson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1