DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Bag vs. Case (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/39573-bag-vs-case.html)

Sean M Lee February 15th, 2005 05:42 PM

Bag vs. Case

A bag or a case:
What's your prefference and why?
Which brand/model do you use?

Comments & suggestions appreciated.

Shannon Rawls February 15th, 2005 06:46 PM

I told my wife i wanted a BAG for my Z1U, she said "Ewwww, that looks cheesey!"

so i got a Pelican hard case like my other cameras.

lol

- ShannonRawls.com

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 15th, 2005 06:48 PM

Case...Pelican is great....I fly a lot though. But even still....bags are rarely "my bag" :-)

Steven Gotz February 15th, 2005 07:28 PM

I bought a case, but now that I have a trip to Greece scheduled, I know I need to figure out a way to strap the FX1 to my front while my tripod is strapped to my back.

I am used to a palmcorder, so this is going to be a LOT different. So far I have only taken it to places where I pulled it out of the car and shot and went back to the car. No all day walks through ruins.

The case has a strap, but still. It is just too big. I am thinking about this one for carrying around all day. But still keeping the larger case for ease of use when I have a car.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=cart&A=details&Q=&sku=319672&is=REG

Ron Evans February 15th, 2005 07:58 PM

I have a Pelican case that fits everything in but am also thinking of getting a Kata case too.

Ron Evans

Sean M Lee February 15th, 2005 11:22 PM

I was thinking about one of the porta brace traveller cases that have an inner skeleton, but those look like they are for the slightly larger cameras...maybe I'll look at the pelican...what size did you folks get?

DSE...is Sundance Media Group part of the institute and that whole org? One of my very best friends is the volunteer manager at the institute...she's wiped out and looking for some time to recover.

Greg Jacobson February 16th, 2005 10:51 AM

I use a black bag that looks like regular luggage. I don't like people knowing I have an expensive camera.

Kaspar Stromme February 16th, 2005 11:37 AM

Just got a Kata CC103 for our FX1. Bag is solid and FX fits nicely in it, plenty of room for batteries and tapes. Only problem is the FX1 is a little wide and the 2 dividers provided are not long enough to properly reach across the main compartment. So you can't really use the dividers effectively, but not a big problem.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 16th, 2005 11:43 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Greg Jacobson : I use a black bag that looks like regular luggage. I don't like people knowing I have an expensive camera. -->>>

You must not fly... cuz' there ain't no way in hell you can fly without the TSA handling your camera even if it's just a carry on. In fact, as a note to yourself/selves, if you fly with the HVR-Z1 in a bag, be sure to put some sort of foam or rubber support inside the second mic mount. Mine is already damaged because the moronic TSA folks at Orange County/John Wayne/Santa Ana (how can an airport have 3 names?) didn't load my cam back into the foam cutout correctly, and the lid on the Pelican forced the arm down and broke the hinge pin.

Chris Sakellaris February 16th, 2005 12:00 PM

I was down in New Orleans last week for Mardi Gras with my FX1. I used a Kata bag that was originally purchased for my XL1s. Plenty of room for the camera and all it's accessories and I placed it in the overhead compartment no problem.

Christopher C. Murphy February 16th, 2005 12:48 PM

I just traveled from Boston to LA with my Z1...used a PortaBrace. It was fine in the carry-on area, but I think a hardcase would be better if you are planning to check it.

Also, the camera was checked by security with no problems. It was funny because I took it out of the PortaBrace on the plane to play with it and people gave me the weirdest look......you know that, "what IS that?!" look. It does look like a canon!

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 16th, 2005 12:53 PM

<<<<"what IS that?!" look. It does look like a canon!>>>>

I hope you mean it does look like a "cannon" and not a "Canon" :-)

Sean M Lee February 16th, 2005 12:58 PM

Are you pelican case guys using the 1610?
If not, which one did you choose?

thanks

Steven Gotz February 16th, 2005 01:41 PM

Kaspar,

Do you think the Kata CC103 would be a good choice to carry an FX1 strapped to my body? I don't want to have to carry it all over in my hand. Even if we need to design straps for it to go over my shoulder?

It looks soft enough to not cause a problem with sharp corners digging into me, but padded enough to protect the camcorder. Is that the case?

If I have to, I will go to a seamstress and have a specially padded bag made. I would rather just buy a bag if I can.

Kaspar Stromme February 16th, 2005 02:10 PM

Steven,
It has a nice shoulder strap that I imagine might be ok for a few hours, but for all-day use or rougher terrain you might want to consider a camera backpack (Kata sells a few of those as well)

The Kata is fairly soft, but the sides have hard plastic or something in them.

Douglas Spotted Eagle February 16th, 2005 02:16 PM

I'm using a 1620, it holds both Z1's and two LitePanels, plus extra stuff I need, including chargers, etc.

Mike Tiffee February 16th, 2005 04:28 PM

I use the Petrol bag listed on B&H on the FX-1 page.

Here's a picture of how it all fits:

http://www.miketiffee.com/hdv/BagOStuff.jpg

Fits the WA lens, a bunch of tapes, all the cables, a second charger, some filters, and the shoulder mount.

Christopher C. Murphy February 16th, 2005 04:31 PM

Yeh, I meant Cannon!

Cate Poole February 17th, 2005 12:48 PM

Best advice I got from a fellow videographer was to get a cheap gym bag and put foam in it. He travels across the pond many times a year and just takes his camera in gym bag as a carry-on. Anything that looks like a camera bag or case is a target for theft.

Sean M Lee February 24th, 2005 10:53 PM

I got a Storm 2720. It works pretty well.
I think this is about as small as I would go.
Hopefully there is room for a lightpanel led light or two in the empty space.

Case Pic

John Jay February 25th, 2005 12:37 PM

I have always used a Samsonite Pilot Case double combination and is as good/strong as an alu case

fits cam, laptop, tele, wide, batteries, chargers, filters & radio lav

no trouble at airports.... and stows in luggage rack above the airplane seat

Shannon Rawls February 25th, 2005 12:47 PM

Pelican Hard Case #1650

Amen

Colin Pearce February 25th, 2005 03:34 PM

I bought a Kata CCC-2003 (Shell-03), which provides more protection than a soft case, but it still quite small and unobtrusive. It is necessary to remove the external mic, but the case is great for my Z1. Kata is coming up with a new case specially for the Z1, but it's a few months away, and probably won't be as compact.

Bill Pryor February 26th, 2005 09:54 AM

I like working out of a bag over a hard case. I've used Portabrace bags for over 20 years. In fact, some of my Portabrace bags are 20 years old. They never wear out. You wouldn't want to use one for shipping, obviously. Pelican cases are good for that, although I wouldn't ship a camera on an airplane anymore.

Bryan Suthard May 31st, 2005 10:09 PM

Anyone try this Pelican combo?

The model is 1526 but this is the 1520 hard case and 1527 soft case by Pelican. As a duo it looks like a good option for the price. By the dimensions it looks like it would fit the FX1 but does anyone have this?

http://www.casesbypelican.com/1526.htm

Thanks,

Bryan

Douglas Spotted Eagle May 31st, 2005 10:19 PM

It's a tight fit inthe softcase, but it does fit. The width just barely makes it.
For us, I prefer just cutting into the foam and living with that, this way I can carry 2 cams in one case, but either way, the 1526 combo is a very comfortable carry.

Sean M Lee May 31st, 2005 10:49 PM

I recently added a portabrace Cargo 2 to my gear. I like it and the price is decent for a bag of that size.

Max Allen June 1st, 2005 01:08 AM

Bags are for kids. Professionals use cases.

Richard Lubash June 1st, 2005 05:22 AM

Even though all our pro eng cameras are in PortaBrace cases I tried the Sony soft case for our Z1 and it seems like a great solution. It even comes with a seperate shotgun mic padded case and a foam/velcro blanket to wrap the Z1 when extra protection is needed. As for backpack type transport I have a case that I used for our XL1 that held the camera and provided straps for a tripod (it even worked well on my motorcycle). I'll post the name when I get to the office.

Richard
2K-Plus
Atlanta

K. Forman June 1st, 2005 06:16 AM

I prefer a hard case for two reasons- 1) It should protect better against hard bangs, and 2) If push comes to shove, I can stand on my hard case and get an extra foot or more height for shooting over people.

My case? I nice big Stanley rolling toolbox, $35 at Wallymart, and plenty of room for EVERYTHING! http://www.zag.co.il/products_inner3..._id=8&this=491

Richard Lubash June 1st, 2005 08:09 AM

Steven,

You might want to check out the Lowepro "Nature Treckker AW" I originally purchased it for a Nikon d1X but was able to modify it for a XL1 and also I just moved things around (all velcro partitions) and the Z1 could be made to fit. It is a very comfortable backpack with a tripod holder although it would have to be a smaller tripod, I couldn't imagine strapping one of our Vintons on it. I'm somewhat of a case freak and often end up having 2 or 3 cases for the same piece of equipment based on the environment it's going to be used in.

Richard
2K-Plus
Atlanta

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Gotz
I bought a case, but now that I have a trip to Greece scheduled, I know I need to figure out a way to strap the FX1 to my front while my tripod is strapped to my back.=REG

Steven Gotz June 1st, 2005 08:57 AM

I found the smallest possible case to travel with.

The Kata CC-191 works fine. I have to stretch the mouth of the bag a slight bit to put the camera in, but it is going to work out just fine. I walked around with it a bit yesterday to check it out.

It just barely holds the Sony HDR-FX1, the polarizing lens filter, and a couple of tapes. All packed, it comes to a total of 8.5 pounds strapped on my shoulder. The tripod is almost that heavy strapped to my back when you include the DVRigJr I will carry in the tripod bag for when a tripod is not allowed. Like in museums, or as I have heard, at the Acropolis/Parthenon.

I will be off and on buses for 8 days, and then on a cruise. So I can replenish the tapes each day. My guess is that I will have the polarizing lens on most of the time, so I bought a cheap lens cap for it, since using a polarizing lens means no lens hood.

I like to have everything with me, but the small bag will be a lot easier to deal with than the large Petrol bag I travel with when I have a rental car.

Bryan Suthard June 1st, 2005 09:07 AM

Steven,

Does it fit in the Kata CC-191 bag with the lens hood on?

Since you mention it, the Polarizer I bought at Ritz camera yesterday (I think Quantaray?) does fit under the hood just fine and can even be adjusted with a fingernail on the edge.

Steven Gotz June 1st, 2005 09:47 AM

Bryan,

Please let me know the Make/Model of your polarizing lens. The Sony one I bought from B&H does not allow that.

Yes, the Kata-191 filts with the lens hood on, but when you put it in, the lens end needs to go in a a certain way, and the bag needs to be stretched a tiny bit to get the eyepiece in. I can not imagine a smaller bag than the 191 for the FX1. If it was an inch or so narrower, it would fit perfectly. As it is, I think it will be the answer to traveling light.

I have not tried it with a Z1, but I think there is room for the Mic holder.

If the rubber around the eyepiece were stiff, it would not fit.

Take a look:

http://www.stevengotz.com/images/Kata-191.jpg

Bryan Suthard June 1st, 2005 10:45 AM

Steven,

Thanks for the info. For the polarizer that fits under the lens - Quantaray 72mm C-PL is all it says on the lens and lens case.

Boyd Ostroff June 24th, 2005 05:17 PM

I thought I'd update this thread with my own experiences, FWIW...

When I was at B&H buying my Z1 I also bought the Kata CC193, and it seems pretty well made. But now as I'm getting ready to leave for a trip to South America I've decided against using it. I think it will be fine for hauling the camera around in my car, but I had several concerns about international travel.

1. As a general observation, the Kata bag doesn't seal very well with those dual zippers. You can't zip them all the way closed because of the foam padding. There's a buckle and velcro to keep to from popping open, but this still leaves a gap where dirt and moisture can get in.

2. After lots of thought (worry actually ;-), I'm just not comfortable with a completely soft case on the airplane. I've seen the way people cram stuff into the overhead compartments, and don't wan't my camera to get smashed. Or it it's under the seat, I don't want to kick it myself! And I'm paranoid that for whatever reason they'll tell me I can't carry it on and want to check it through, or put it into a luggage compartment, or whatever.

3. The Kata is really a lot taller than it needs to be for the Z1, leaving lots of empty space above it. Again, it's just begging to get squashed down. I tried adding some of my own foam but wasn't happy with the results. Overall the bag just seems a little bulky to me as well.

4. The Kata has a strap and buckle to hold the camera down, but it doesn't really do that great a job - it still rocks back and forth because there's no ideal spot to strap it. Also, the strap seems to work loose a bit all by itself.

I've been looking all over in luggage departments, Lowes, Staples, etc. for something I like better than the camera bags I've seen, but not much luck. I don't want a hardcase/metal briefcase.

So today as a last resort I stopped at my little local camera store and wow, they actually had a nice selection of cases. Since it's the last minute before my trip, I just bought there, but B&H carries the same thing. I ended up with a Tamarac 644 and am really happy:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

It looks pretty much like a soft case, but has a very solid bicomponent plastic body under the nylon. No way anyone is gonna squash this case. The fit is snug, but still left plenty of room for the camera, battery charger, cables, 3 of the big batteries, 10 tapes and other junk. It has a system of nicely padded divideders with very strong velcro fasteners. It took awhile, but I came up with an arrangement that really supports and pads the camera so it can't move at all.

BTW, I've removed the mike holder from my Z1. I have no plans to use a camera mounted mike, and it just bothered me. Looks like an accident waiting to happen with the LCD screen, I don't like the way it sticks out, and it also makes the camera harder to pack. However it would still fit in the Tamarac case fine if you left it on.

Another nice thing about the Tamarac case is that it just meets the airline's criterion (36" linear inches H+W+L) for a carry-on "personal item" in addition to your carry-on bag.

Nigel Traill June 24th, 2005 05:43 PM

Lowepro Photo Trekker AW

I'd like to suggest the Lowepro Photo Trekker AW - I have Pelikan 1610 and 1650 hard cases, as well as a bunch of other Kata-like bags. The Lowepro nicely fits my old PD150 or the Z1, plus radio mikes, cables, batteries etc.

I originally bought it for some outback shooting, but it fits as carry-on, and protects the contents with water and dust resistant zippers as well. The nicest aspect is when you are wheeling a Pelikan case, and lugging a tripod bag, you wear it as a backpack, so everything stays under control.

In a pinch, you can shoot while wearing the Lowepro - so if you are moving around you have essential stuff right there with you.

It is easily as well made as the much more expensive Kata-type bags, and everything fits snugly. Check it out.

Cheers,

Nigel

John McGinley June 24th, 2005 06:32 PM

Am I the only one who bought a Sony LCH-FXA?

It makes a awesome footrest when I'm not using my camera. :-)

Boyd Ostroff June 24th, 2005 06:58 PM

I wanted to look at that, but B&H had them on backorder when I was there...

Carlos E. Martinez June 24th, 2005 07:31 PM

Remember metallic camera boxes might get more attention from customs and when you are in the street.

The Tamrac looks more discreet.

Carlos