Time code edit between z1u & fx1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:07 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Time code edit between z1u & fx1

Can it be done

they have different TC read outs, the fx1 is missing the first 0

can I edit between footage shot on the FX1 and the Z1 with this difference in TC

I would use free run with FX-1 as a secondary camera

I assume you can but I just wanted confirmation from an actual owner

Thanks in advance
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 09:57 AM   #2
Regular Crew

sure you can. I hate editing multicam jobs without matching timecode however. We cut a kids show for Nickelodeon and they had no idea how to match time code. I think it took us 6 or 7 months of explaining before they finally figured it out! Their post bills went down, too.
It's a little different to do with Z1s, but can be done using free run. I think the FX1 will only do Rec Run and is not presettable. This is one of the main reasons why we went with the Z1.
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 10:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I did not realize the FX-1 was so limited in TC

I thought that I could use the two cameras together with matching time code. Thanks, so it goes beyond a missing 0 on the short comings of the FX-1 TC, record run only and no way to reset TC. I am going to read the FX1 manual now, thanks for your response. I really don't want to spend the money on 2 Z1's, I was looking forward to buying another high end wireless with the money saved on the FX1.
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 11:40 AM   #4
Trustee

Jerry,
You could still sync the material from both cameras by using some visual/audio ident like a clap.
No problem lining the material up in editing later
If the two cameras were working close to each other, you could even shoot the LCD screen with T/C display on one camera by the other camera and work out the offset between the two T/Cs after...

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2005, 01:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

2nd cam dilemma

I need a second camera for a lock-down shot or for a hired photog to use in tandem with the Z1, problem is that it is a tough match with native 16:9 ccd. I just hate shelling out another couple grand for the FX-1 if it does not have matching time-code.
Thanks for your input
Jerry Mohn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1