Fixing FX1 Audio at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 8th, 2005, 10:38 AM   #1
New Boot

Fixing FX1 Audio

Agh. I feel like my head is going to explode trying to figure all this out.

The situation: I’m purchasing an FX1 shortly, and will also be spending some money on improving its audio. From what I understand I need to buy two things… a mic, and some sort of XLR converter. The mic question is the easy one, so I’ll ask that first.

The Mic: I’ll primarily be using the camera to shoot independent movies, so I’ll need something that I can boom in. Would a shotgun mic be ideal for this type of situation? If so – I’m probably looking at getting the Rode NTG-2… but if someone could explain to me the difference between that mic and the NTG-1 – that would be fantastic. If there are suggestions for other mics around the same price – they are also welcome.

The XLR Converter: From what I understand I’ll need some sort of converter to run a half way decent mic – and that what I should be looking at is something like a Beachtek DXA-4P. Or would I be better off getting the DXA-6 because it has phantom power. How important is phantom power?

I know these are pretty noobie questions – but I haven’t been able to find an idiots guide to audio yet. So I’d be grateful for an advice I can get. :)
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Daniel

I have an FX1 and it works fine with any of the XLR adapters.

I actually have the Sign Video XLR PRO but the Beachtek is more widely available:

DXA- 4 - Passive but will take two mics if they are either dynamic or powered by a battery

DXA-6 is useful because of the phantom power.. but not essential

DXA- 8 which has pre amps and limiters and is very good as it acts pretty much as a mini audio mixer...

Anyone of these will get your XLR mic to work well with the FX1.

Mic wise I have an Audio Technica 897. Nice mic and about the best you'll find in this price range. To get a better mic you'll need to spend a lot more money.

I have this mic on a Beyerdynamic EA86 shock mount.. although I'm looking at the Creative video adapter to mount on the side of the LCD screen..

Regards
Gareth
Gareth Watkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #3
Major Player

I use a DXA-4 with my FX1 and it works great.

I've got an Azden 2x shotgun mic.
Bryan McCullough is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1