Some thoughts on ccd size at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 14th, 2005, 05:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Some thoughts on ccd size

Hi :)

It's not that important, but i am thinking about the size of the z1's ccd.

The manual says 6mm (1/3" type). 1/3" should be 8,5 mm. Maybe I am wrong. Or what is measures here.
The width I guess.

And of course this would be the full image. Not reduced by the underscan. So if I want to do some cameramatching in my 3D Application or use it with pCAM on Palm Handheld what is the right size ?

And by the way: I notices, that the Flip-out-viewfinder doesnt show the same as what you get on the Monitor. Is there a reason for that ? I can't believe that is a mistake :)

Thanks for your ideas.

Peter
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 06:11 AM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Peter. CCD sizes bear little relation to actual measurements, which is why it says 1/3" type. I think the following page explains this pretty well: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0210/02...ensorsizes.asp

I don't have a Z1 (yet ;-), but I know you can use the menu to set the viewfinder and LCD screen to either underscan or overscan. Can you be more specific about what's different on a monitor? Consumer TV's and some video monitors overscan, meaning that they chop off the outer part of the image. Virtually all prosumer camcorders have viewfinders which also do this. But professional monitors should have a switch to choose underscan such that the entire frame shows. The Z1 should also be able to do this.

Or maybe you're viewing the widescreen image on a 4:3 monitor and it looks "squashed"?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I am aware of underscan and anamorphotic Pictures. But it shows me like sideway there is no underscan area and vertical is see more than on a TV.

Peter :)
Peter Rixner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1