A beefed up FX-1 or a bare Z1 ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 17th, 2005, 10:19 AM   #1
Major Player

A beefed up FX-1 or a bare Z1 ?

Ok for about the same price you could buy an FX-1 with cavision equiped mattebox and follow focus or a bare bones Z1. Which would be the best choice if that's the budget ? Why ? thanks for your inputs- Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 10:43 AM   #2
Major Player

what do you shoot?
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Regular Crew

if you think you will be shooting something that will end up on a theater screen, on film, then the z1 at 50i is the way to go.
FIRST CINEMA PICTURES
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Shannon - Man , I've read your post and want to thank you for your energy to share . I'm mostly an artsy-fartsy type and do gallery pieces usually projected by midrange lcds or sometimes my old sony crt - the 1031, which does hd. And I also am a painter/photographer/etc. But that being said - where I live in mexico- San Miguel Allende is turning into something of a filmmaking colony with a new 50 million filmmaking studio in process.San Miguel has always been a center for mexican media. And there's already about 3 or 4 dvx's and at least one fx1 already here. Apparently there's alot of personal/ business projects going on that I thought maybe I could tap into. This is where they made Once Upon a Time in Mex. Man that was a disaster- they totally destroyed this small , beautiful colonial city. But that's another tale to be told ! So that's why i was interested in a decked out fx versus a bare z - probably works and looks more professional - put it on some nice sticks with a new marantz digital recorder to do double system and a few candles and chinese lanterns and it could be the ultimate guerrilla setup- which is very important here unless you want to support the local police. thanks again- Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #5
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Kurth Bousman :
Shannon - Man , I've read your post and want to thank you for your energy to share .
-->>>

(YO DJ! Play my song!)........(bump Bump ti BUMP BUMP)

*doin' the wop*
*now the running man*
*electric slide*
*spinning on my head*
*freestyle breakdance spin.....into a freeze pose for the camera*

"LIKE WHUUUUUUuuuuuuut!" *smile*

thanks man.

In your case...I would get the Z1 and do the MatteBox and Follow Focus after you make your first $1000 in about 7 days after owning the camera! *smile*

Reason being is....for the things you wish to do in San Migel, the extra "FILMMAKER FEATURES" are worth the few extra bucks! *trust me*

If you were a Pure Event Videographer or doing Reality Work with no Narrative Thread....I would say screw a Z1U and get the FX1.

Not to mention....when all those cobalt blue FX1 owners who are trying to be filmmakers like you see you roll up on set with your JetBlack Z1U.....can you say "ENVY!"

Just my $19.11

- ShannonRawls
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1