Sony tech on tape use at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 23rd, 2005, 03:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony tech on tape use

I got an answer back from Sony on tape. It went through a distributor. The answer was something new to me:

As for your tape question, here is the response from my sony tech guy...

"It is OK to use the DVM63HD tape. The best results are obtained by selecting a good tape, and sticking to using that same kind of tape all the time... There is a process called "head contouring" that occurs during the first hours of tape use. After head contouring occurs, head to tape contact is maximized. I don't have the time to go into the details why but, changing tape type most likely forces the head contouring process to reoccur each time the tape type is changed. While the heads are "recontouring", the head to tape contact will not be maximum; therefore, error rates will be worse; a condition that could lead to increased dropout rate.

By the way, high grade tape usually is produced using precision slitting (high tracking accuracy) and in the case of the Digital Master, the Sony media folks claim that tapes are checked and lower drop out rates (70% less) are guarantied. Professionals, especially those that shoot events, which cannot be re-shot, are well advised to use the highest grade of tape they can afford."
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:23 PM   #2
New Boot

tape

I come from the audio world now to video and I always choose to use the Better tape it just makes sense why cut corners.
My 24 track audio deck is set up for the tape I use. The bias is set for it on the tape deck.
But the point that I'll make is there is a reason the tape was designed for this camera.
I understand people use the cheaper tape and it works but in the long run why take a chance on that one shoot that the tape just was not up to snuff. The tape was optimized for this camera.

Bottom line for me is I love this camera, sold my XL1s for it.
I have never been sorry… and if I raced cars I would use better gas and better tires even though the cheap gas and tires would still work.
Just my thoughts.
Steve Martens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2005, 12:56 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I'm with you

I'm with you on this. I ordered the DVM63HD because Sony recommends it. I don't think I'll go any lower than that. The Sony digital master is sold out. I hope to be going directly to hard drive most of the time and using tape to backup.
Old March 24th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #4
New Boot

63D & 63DM - Any Difference?

I went in to my local shop to pick up some Sony DVM63's and my helpful associate asked if I wanted the ones in the "cool" cases, to which I of course said "Heck Yea...". I got home and they're the Digital Master PHDVM-63DM's.

Question: I've already started using the "normal" DVM63's, is this "Digital Master" the same tape, i.e. lubricant and tape stock? Should I return them and go with the others? Thanks!
Jared VanLeuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 03:07 AM   #5
Major Player

Re: 63D & 63DM - Any Difference?

<<<-- Originally posted by Jared VanLeuven :.. associate asked if I wanted the ones in the "cool" cases -->>>

what cases you are talking about? that grey ones? or different ones? i have light grey ones, with orange stripe entitled "digital master" - is this the same type?

filip
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:19 AM   #6
Regular Crew

"normal" DVM63's

I just received an order I placed for 10 DVM63' tapes . They do not say "Digital Master" on them anywhere. I checked several dealers. All say they are out of stock for Digital Master. These I have just say, "The ultimate Sony DV Cassette. Ideal for HDV recording." When I get to NAB I'm running down the tape guy and getting this straight. In the meantime my camera is supposed to be on the road and when it gets here I'm shooting with these.
Old March 25th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #7
New Boot

The original ones I bought and used in the camera were shrink-wrapped like normal MiniDV tapes and were creamy silver/burgundy on the label as well as on the cassette housing. These Digital Master tapes are enclosed in a beefy greyish plastic locking clamshell, with a silver Sony label that has some orangy background stripe with the Digital Master name in the middle of the label. No shrink-wrapping, and the cassette itself is black and sort of nondescript.
Jared VanLeuven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8
Regular Crew

That is the same type that was included in the box with my Z1. The code on mine is PHDVM-63DM. I just wish I could find some more in the UK. At the moment I am using up some Sony Premium DV60 that I used on my DV camcorders. I am praying that they will not cause any problems since they are at least Sony.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2005, 05:50 PM   #9
Regular Crew

premium is probably OK

I have a friend with an FX1. He has shot several lng events, nothing but the standard Sony Premium tape (blue wrapping) and has had no problems, no dropouts. He says the tape is basically all the same. He thinks it is mostly hype and, so far, nothing has happened to prove him wrong. I'm not that cavalier about it but I'm sure they are OK.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1