Possible Bad Sony Z1, but I need a comparison to another Z1...PLEASE HELP! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 4th, 2005, 05:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Possible Bad Sony Z1, but I need a comparison to another Z1...PLEASE HELP!

Hello and thanks in advance if you can lend any assistance.

I just got the Sony Z1 and everything worked great until I tried to capture HDV content into my NLE system. Since so many things could be wrong (software, hardware, etc.), the first thing I need to do is narrow down the possibilities, beginning with the camera (especially since I only have two more days to return the camera to B&H if something IS wrong). here's my question:

when I navigate to the [IN/OUT REC] menu (in either camera or VCR mode) and scroll down to the VCR HDV/DV setting and pull up the submenu that lets you change from "Auto" to "HDV" to "DV", there is a message at the bottom of the screen that reads:

Changes NOT allowed.
Unplug i. Link cable.

this message is there regardless if the camera is connected via the iLink (IEEE1394) cable or not. B&H and Sony (surprise, surprise) couldn't/wouldn't tell me if this message was normal and always present regardless if the camera was plugged-in or not.

I get the same message in HDV->DV convert menu and thus far I have been unable to down-convert and capture DV from HDV.

Can anyone tell me if their Sony Z1/FX1 says the same thing whether or not its plugged in via the iLink cable??

Any help would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Andrew Stone
A. Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:21 PM   #2
Major Player

It is just a warning for you to unplug before you change, all of them do that.
Old April 4th, 2005, 07:56 PM   #3
Trustee

It just says that. What you need to do is set it the way you want it, and then I always turn it off and then on again before capturing.
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:45 AM   #4
Regular Crew

That's a relief!

Thanks...I appreciate the information. I didn't think it was the camera, but I wanted to make sure. now it's time to troubleshoot all the other stuff so I can capture HDV
A. Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1