Steadishot Modes On Z1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 14th, 2005, 07:01 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Steadishot Modes On Z1

The Sony Z1 has three types of steadyshot. You can select between HARD - NORMAL and WIDE . However, I do no see any difference between them when I select them. Are they really 3 different types of steadyshot?
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:09 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

See page 60 of the Z1 operator's manual for detailed descriptions of each mode.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 07:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That's exactly what I did when I first bought the camera a month ago. They talk about different types of steadyshot but in practice I do not see any difference whatsoever. That's why i was asking.
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I agree, when viewed on the camera LCD there is no apparent effect of using the various steadyshot options. It has been suggested to me (by the salesman who sold me the camera who had also observed the same lack of effect) that this is something to do with the LCD display though I cannot see how it would be.

Andrew Hall
Old April 14th, 2005, 08:47 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

I think the various differences are pretty subtle but they're there. You might need to review your video on a decent monitor instead of the cam's LCD display in order to discern the difference.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I really doubt this is the case. I shoot with higher end cameras, Digibetas, Varicams with stabilizers on the lens and you can see the obvious stabilizing method. I think this is just a subtle difference which may not be much of a difference in practice with the Z1. This is my feeling now. Or they could be there just as a gimmick. Sony has done that in the past with other things so I wouldnt be surprised.
Old April 14th, 2005, 10:31 PM   #7
Major Player

Try this and you will see the difference between the mode.
Put the camera on a tripod and pan and then make a sudden stop, you will see that the hard mode will not stop right away and keep going for a little more.
Old April 14th, 2005, 10:36 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Good point, that is why I tell my customers to always turn off the OIS on the Panasonic AGDVX100A when on a tripod, so that the camera becomes more responsive. That is an excellent test!

24 hours of educational video on 16 DVDs, focused on filmmaking savvy, examples, demonstrations, and tips.
Learn Scriptwriting, Formatting, Editing, Camera Operation, Lighting, Exposure, Audio, and Directing.
Rush Hamden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2005, 10:49 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ok, thanks for the suggestion. I was just wishing that the hard mode was similar to the excellent stabilizer that Canon puts in its camera lenses. But this is not the case. Even the hard mode is not superior to Canon's. And don't take me wrong as I am an all Sony guy.

<<<-- Originally posted by Khoi Pham : Try this and you will see the difference between the mode.
Put the camera on a tripod and pan and then make a sudden stop, you will see that the hard mode will not stop right away and keep going for a little more. -->>>
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1