HDV and TV stations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 16th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HDV and TV stations

I was at a video conference the other day and the Sony rep said TV stations around the country were embracing the HDV format by purchasing HDV cameras.

Does anyone know which TV stations have purchased HDV equipment?
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2005, 06:40 PM   #2
Major Player

all of them. *smile*

serious.
Shannon Rawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 10:30 AM   #3
Regular Crew

HDV and TV stations

Particularly I wanted to know which TV stations has purchased the Z-1 and related HDV equipment. I was at at small video conference about 3 weeks ago and a Sony rep said that TV stations were embracing the HDV format.
I just wanted to know which stations were they ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Rawls
all of them. *smile*

serious.
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:06 PM   #4
Major Player

I would also like to know, Augusto, since most stations in the country aren't broadcasting in HD, so why bother with HDV cameras?

I think that Sony rep may be guilty of what is called "hyperbole," at least, and maybe BS at worst. That's not to say that he won't be correct at some time in the future. But today?

Wayne Orr
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:43 PM   #5
Regular Crew

TV station and HDV

There are many stations who have embraced the HDV format and all I want to know which ones they are. I dont care if there are or not stations broadcasting in HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Orr
I would also like to know, Augusto, since most stations in the country aren't broadcasting in HD, so why bother with HDV cameras?

I think that Sony rep may be guilty of what is called "hyperbole," at least, and maybe BS at worst. That's not to say that he won't be correct at some time in the future. But today?

Wayne Orr
Old April 17th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Contact Val Reynolds, one of the top Sony sales execs.

If it was easy, they'd get a relative to do it.
Wayne Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 02:48 PM   #7
Trustee

Wayne I found your comment very relevant.

The company I work for now sells content to HDNet who has approved HDV for insert shots though not for use full time on a show. (have to keeps using the HD-CAM's for that. But that's satallite, not over the air broadcast so I'm not sure if it's entirely relevant or not either.
Nick Hiltgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 03:15 PM   #8
Barry Wan Kenobi

Most stations do broadcast digitally now (or, at least, digital broadcasts are available throughout the country). Digital does not necessarily mean high-def... I don't know how many stations may be originating their own high-def broadcasts, I'm sure that's a very much smaller number than the number of stations that are relaying network high-def boradcasts.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #9
Regular Crew

What do you gain with that? {remainder edited by moderator}
Old April 17th, 2005, 06:26 PM   #10
Major Player

There are about 1400 US TV stations that are now doing some digital programming http://www.nab.org/Newsroom/issues/d...TVStations.asp

About 840 US stations are "HD capable"

Here is a list of active broadcasters http://www.hdtv.net/stations.htm

Here is another http://www.hdpictures.com/stations.htm
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Take a deep breath, back away from the keyboard, follow the links Mr. Wiley has graciously provided you and then give us an update on what you've found.
Old April 17th, 2005, 09:00 PM   #12
Major Player

so if stations now have HDV cameras are they brodcasting HDV signal? if so using what decks?
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2005, 10:33 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Thanks Peter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Wiley
There are about 1400 US TV stations that are now doing some digital programming http://www.nab.org/Newsroom/issues/d...TVStations.asp

About 840 US stations are "HD capable"

Here is a list of active broadcasters http://www.hdtv.net/stations.htm

Here is another http://www.hdpictures.com/stations.htm
Old May 7th, 2005, 07:47 AM   #14
Major Player

It bears repeating that digitial TV and HDTV are not the same thing. There is some confusion on this point. The FCC has required that all U.S. TV station use digital transmissions by 2006 (I think). SD TV can be broadcast digitally and the bulk of digital transmission at the moment is SD. HDTV is one digital format that comes in two flavors (720p and 1080i).

TV stations do not have to have HDTV camera equipment to broadcast digitally. Many cable systems do not yet support digitial TV (not to be confused with "digital cable").

Here is a typical FAQ from a TV station dealing with these issues that might be helpful.

There is quite a lot to be sorted out re HDTV services as viable commerical (as opposed to merely technical) medium/format.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Orr
Well, over here in the UK the BBC have moved over to Z1's from PD-150's (or at least are in the process of doing so), and they don't broadcast a single frame of HD.

Don't forget, the Z1 is a damn nice DVCam camera too - true 16:9, wide latitude, PAL/NTSC switchable, B+W EVF - a big improvement over the PD-150 except in the lowest of light... I would guess their thinking is to future-proof their purchasing "in case" HDV takes off.
Dominic Jones is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1