A Hard Shell Case for the FX1/Z1 for under $50 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 18th, 2005, 09:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

A Hard Shell Case for the FX1/Z1 for under $50

Several years ago, when I purchased the VX-2000, I found a case that still serves the function of carrying the camcorder, power supply, LANC control, etc.

After recently acquiring the FX1, I went back to find another case for it. The case was purchased from Home Depot. It’s described as a HUSKY 191-041 Attaché Case (approx. 18” x 12” x 6’) for $19.97. I removed the internal section dividers and flip out vinyl folder. Then lined the case with part of a Mattress Foam cover (Wal-Mart $7.87).
Cutting two separate oversized pieces for top and bottom of the case, you stuff the foam into both sections, trimming the corners after you have assured a good snug fit. I used strips of double-backed tape (6”-8” or so) to adhere the foam to all four sides. I bought a “travel kit” zippered bag (Wal-Mart $9.97) to store the batteries, power supply and any accessories. There is ample room in the case for this after you have positioned the camcorder. When you close the top, it’s a very snug fit. The cam is securely in place and will not slide.
Ben Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2005, 11:48 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Unfortunately, this seems to only work for the FX1, NOT the Z1, because of the external microphone holder on the Z1.

I tried it out - went to Home Depot and WalMart and got everything you did. Got home all excited to put it together and .... Z1 was just a little too big to fit in the case (even without the padding). No joy.

Guess I'll be saving up for a Pelican case like a 1620 or 1650.

For those of you that have the Pelican cases for your Z1, like Douglas Spotted Eagle, do you recommend the padded dividers version or the pick and pluck foam version? and why?
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2005, 10:13 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I really like my Storm 2720
http://hardigg.org/StormCaseFiles/Ta...05Brochure.pdf
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1