4:3 dumb-down in the Z1: noticeable loss of quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Closed Thread

Old April 22nd, 2005, 10:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

4:3 dumb-down in the Z1: noticeable loss of quality

Hello All...

I've recently shot some stuff where I didn't know what type of TV/projector would be used to play the video. As such, I turned the DV Wide mode off and shot in DV SP at 4:3. The resultant image wasn't very good. In fact, my old XL1 (with a native 4:3 chip?), produced a better image. Has anyone else experienced this? What is happening when the DV wide mode is turned off? I thought it simply cropped the sides...but there's such a noticeable difference between the native 16:9 and "4:3", that the 4:3 appears almost useless.

Should I even bother with 4:3 and just not worry about the what TV the video might be played?

Thanks again!

Andrew Stone
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

We know that in 4x3 we are actually using less resolution than other 4x3 native cameras but the loss in quality should not be that obvious. Do you think the problem was the projector?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone
Hello All...

I've recently shot some stuff where I didn't know what type of TV/projector would be used to play the video. As such, I turned the DV Wide mode off and shot in DV SP at 4:3. The resultant image wasn't very good. In fact, my old XL1 (with a native 4:3 chip?), produced a better image. Has anyone else experienced this? What is happening when the DV wide mode is turned off? I thought it simply cropped the sides...but there's such a noticeable difference between the native 16:9 and "4:3", that the 4:3 appears almost useless.

Should I even bother with 4:3 and just not worry about the what TV the video might be played?

Thanks again!

Andrew Stone
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Images shot with the XL1 looked better on the same TV...mmmmmm, probably not the monitor.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:38 PM   #4
Regular Crew

There must be something not adjusted properly. I have shot with the PD170 and the Z1 in DV mode and matched the cameras pretty well. And this is recorgnizing the fact that the image of a pd170 in general is better than a Canon XL1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Stone
Images shot with the XL1 looked better on the same TV...mmmmmm, probably not the monitor.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augusto Manuel
There must be something not adjusted properly. I have shot with the PD170 and the Z1 in DV mode and matched the cameras pretty well. And this is recorgnizing the fact that the image of a pd170 in general is better than a Canon XL1.
I shot 4x3 DV on the FX1, and didn't notice it being excessively soft... seemed, sharpness-wise, on par with other DV cameras.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 05:48 PM   #6

I think that if you set the sharpness in the FX1 on par with other Sony cams, you WILL notice a softness. A standard setting of 8-9 is really equal to 11-12 on the Z1, I can only assume the FX1 would be the same. Not having very much shooting experience with the FX1, I can't say for certain.
http://www.vasst.com
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1