Century Optics .7x Wide Angle for Z1/FX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 5th, 2005, 01:00 PM   #1
New Boot

Century Optics .7x Wide Angle for Z1/FX1

Anyone purchased the .7x Century Optics Converter?
Worth the beans?
Any weight and balancing issues with it?
Any other wide angle zoom through one might recommend?

Whit
Whit Wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:11 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Century 0.6x for DVX100 "almost" works on FX1

I have the Century Optics 0.6x wide angle lens designed for the DVX100. It "almost" works on the FX1, in that the lens itself is the right size, but Sony's bayonet mount is just different enough from Panasonic's that the lens mount will not actually fit on the camera. However if you just hold the Century in front of the FX1's lens it appears to work ok, the image looks fine on the viewfinder with no obvious vignetting. There is of course some barrel distortion. You can focus through roughly 2/3 of the FX1's zoom range, just like with the DVX100. I don't know what the steady-shot implications would be, and I'm sure image sharpness and chromatic abberation is affected to some degree, but it looked ok in my very casual 10-second test.
John Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2005, 04:37 PM   #3
Barry Wan Kenobi

If you decide to use that lens exclusively on your FX1, I believe Century can exchange the bayonet mount for an FX1-compatible mount for not much expense...
Barry Green is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1