Should i buy the Fx1 or wait? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 8th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #16

"No more needed than DV, unless you use a system that converts to an intermediate codec."

Only a masochist would attempt to edit m2t files. Of course you can....Frankly this is why we created Gearshift, so folks can edit DV proxies, and then exchange the proxies for either an m2t file, a Cineform file, or a 4:2:2 YUV file if you're going to go SD/SDI or HD/SDI in Sony Vegas.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #17
Regular Crew

"Only a masochist would attempt to edit m2t files."

I believe Liquid Edition already allows you to edit m2t files directly, and I don't think the Edition users I know are masochists. Similarly, Avid are promising direct m2t editing in a few months, and doesn't Final Cut also support it now?

Are all those users really masochists?
Mark Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:53 PM   #18

They're not editing m2t directly. They're editing an intermediate format in the background.
Do a little research, you'll almost immediately learn that m2t does NOT edit well, aside from the fact that a hardware decoder is fairly requisite. I use Edition when I have to, I also use Canopus, (I just finished authoring their Edius HDV training series) Premiere, Vegas, and FCP 5. Trust me when I say that you do not want to, at any point in time, be authoring/editing directly with transport streams. Just because you don't see a conversion taking place doesn't mean it's not happening.
Have you edited m2t streams yet? If not, you're in for a big surprise.
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:25 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Hello,

from an amateurs point of view, editing HDV on a „normal“ Multimedia - PC is „doable“. I for myself edited my first HDV movie (25 min duration) on such a system. At this time a had „only“ 300 GB HDD, 512 MB – Ram and a 2.2 GHz Athlon prozessor. I used Vegas 5d and Connect HD. Of course there are limitations. Especially if You get more and more takes on the timeline the system got quite slow. So I worked with segments. As an amateur You can afford to do this. Usually You got no deadline, so speed of the workflow or rendering times aren‘t the main concern. So I see no „urgent“ need to upgrade the editing hardware (but I recommend it..) First thing is to get a decent camera and do some shooting.
I decided to buy a FX1e because I „needed“ ( or „wanted“, for an amateur there is no „need“) a „better then SD- camera“ for a „holliday – movie“. I wanted to do it in 16:9 (I loathe 4:3). For the moment the FX1 was the best choice for me. The journey I was going to make had a fixed date and the FX1 was available. I think the size of the FX1 is not the problem – You have to keep in mind that You also need a tripod.
If I wasn’t doing this trip maybe I would have waited.

Greetings

Richard
Richard Firnges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 05:38 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Firnges
I think the size of the FX1 is not the problem ? You have to keep in mind that You also need a tripod.
Dear Richard
I usually take video while i walking, how is the image quality with this type of video?
and i dont have the time (ony my holidays) to stand with a tripod, is the fx1 to heavy to carry on my hand?
thanks
Yiannis Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:31 AM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Firnges
At this time a had „only“ 300 GB HDD, 512 MB – Ram and a 2.2 GHz Athlon prozessor. I used Vegas 5d and Connect HD.
According to David Newman needed 3 GHz processor for Vegas 5 and only 2 GHz for Vegas 6. Vegas 6 available to students for 190 USD.

I still think that when factor everything in, camera cost, W/A lens cost, talent, sound equipment, lighting and other costs, extra cost for HDV versus DV is minimal, not "much more", as was suggested, unless you're a pro and need HDCAM VCR, high end HD monitors, etc.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:01 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Native M2T

Douglas, you know a lot more than me, but I have to correct you on native m2t editing. LE 6.1 does it and there is no conversion. To my knowledge, Avid is taking the same approach, but they are probably going to use LE technology to do so. Correct me if I am missing something.
Ed Szarleta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #23

It's true that in LE they are not converting, but rather referencing, which is still not working with the native transport stream directly. Unless I'm informed wrong from Pinnacle, they are referencing the frame information, but not the frame itself.
Avid is doing their own thing with it, or so I'm told, but NDA would prevent me from saying more. What I'm told and what might actually ship are often two different things. :-)
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:25 AM   #24
Major Player

DSE - you should try out womble

DSE, you should give mpeg video wizard a try. It nicely handles m2t - we're editing our Sony FX1 action movie on a PIII 1 GHz laptop with win xp pro... okay, it's a bit choppy, but we're making out fine!

Hey, DSE, by the way, what do you think of new mainconcept H.264 encoder???
Mark Kubat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:27 AM   #25
Regular Crew

I usually take video while i walking, how is the image quality with this type of video?
and i dont have the time (ony my holidays) to stand with a tripod, is the fx1 to heavy to carry on my hand?

i saw a lot of blurrinness if the fx1 is in motion, more than my minidv camera, Why?

please write your opinions it is too important for me
thanks
Yiannis Kall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:40 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hello Yannis,

sorry I can't answer Your question - I always use a tripod. At least I have one with me. Until now I haven't made one handheld shot with the FX1.
What I can tell You that the FX1 is bulky, but not overly heavy. I am used to carry heavy bags with Stillcameras - in comparison with a Pentax 67 and 3 lenses, exposure meter, filters for BW and films the bag with the FX1 is light as a feather....

Hello Radek,

the statet systems requirements are in my opinion always aproximate. If You are willing to make some sacrifices, to use workarounds etc You often can do with an "indadequate system". Of course when the workflow gets to slow, frustration levels rise. But as an amateur Your budget is always tight. The purchase of a camera which costs as much a a FX1 is a big step. And for making this one big leap You need to make the next steps smaller. I haven't testet Vegas 6 yet, but if it is true what You wrote, I should try it.

Hello Mark,

I downloaded the Trial version of the Womble Tool. It really looks promising.

Greatings

Richard
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:22 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kubat
DSE, you should give mpeg video wizard a try. It nicely handles m2t - we're editing our Sony FX1 action movie on a PIII 1 GHz laptop with win xp pro... okay, it's a bit choppy, but we're making out fine!
Where can get that software, how much is it, please.
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:51 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Hello Radek,

http://www.womble.com/products/

I think the price is 120$, but You can download a working 30 day trial.

Greatings

Richard
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #29

Womble is very good for recutting/stitching mpeg together, but past that, it's not useful for anything, IMO.

The Z1, with it's 4 stablizer modes, is great during walking, if you're walking like a shooter vs walking while swinging your hips and arms.
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:17 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
The Z1, with it's 4 stablizer modes, is great during walking,
I cant afford to buy z1, only fx1. How many stabilizer modes has the fx1?
thanks
Yiannis Kall is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1