how is the sony HVR-z1 in low light - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 25th, 2005, 11:03 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Peter: White balancing the camera does not improve the low light capability. As the previous poster says, it is basically an illusion that you see a better low light. When you do not white balance the camera specially in theatrical situation the blues, reds and other problematic colors in videos become appear quite noisy and murky. White balancing the camera properly does not imply you are getting a better low light capability.

The color correction in post can do some improvement to the overall picture but remember that the "fix it in post" is not always a good a idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moore
Is this something that can be fixed in post?
Augusto Manuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2005, 02:51 PM   #17
Trustee

Well, the footage has already been shot, so fixing it in post is all I have left.

Anyway, we can argue semantics as to whether "low light" performance is improved, but it seems to me if the picture looks better (i.e. colors are less noisy and murky) then that's all that matters.
Peter Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1