What's the best Mic for the FX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 28th, 2005, 11:28 AM   #1
New Boot

What's the best Mic for the FX1?

I assume since it says on it "plug-in power", that you can get a mic that is powered by the camera, rather than its own battery, which I would prefer, if it made sense.

I am currently using a Sony mic that requires a AA battery which I hate, because I'm always trying to remember to turn it on and off, and I am always worried that the battery is dead.

Thanks in advance,

David
David Schamis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2005, 08:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

it's called phantom power, and our Z1's will power just about al of 'em. I dunno about the FX1, maybe with the beachtech?
Sean M Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 05:57 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean M Lee
it's called phantom power, and our Z1's will power just about al of 'em. I dunno about the FX1, maybe with the beachtech?

Can someone recommend a Beachtech / Mic combo that they've successfully used???
Old May 29th, 2005, 06:06 AM   #4
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schamis
Can someone recommend a Beachtech / Mic combo that they've successfully used???
It appears the Beachtek DXA-4 is the right model for the FX1.

I'm sure there are 100s of mics that can do the job, but I'd still be interested in a suggestion.
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:55 AM   #5
Trustee

This has already been discussed here:http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?t=45294
A number of people are very happy with the Audio Technica AT 897 mic.
It's battery as well as phantom powered.
There is no on/off switch, so that's one thing less to worry about- and the battery will last for ages and ages!
If you really want phantom power, then the BeachTek series 6 models will supply phantom power, but you still need to put a 9v bettery in the BeachTek unit.

Robin
Robin Davies-Rollinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 09:53 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

With regard to this thread's title, "What's the best Mic for the FX1," that's a somewhat misguided question. Generally speaking, you don't choose a mic for your camcorder; you choose it for the type of material that you're shooting. In some cases you might need a short shotgun, in others you might need a wireless lav. We have an entire forum dedicated to this sort of thing. It's called "Now Hear This" on the main forum index page and that will be the best place to research this sort of question.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:19 AM   #7
New Boot

I use a Beachtek DXA6 with a AT 835b condersor mic on a VX2100E. Works well, although the camera's audio is noisier that I'd like. I think the DXA8 with built in limiter is worth looking at.
Eric Foo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:25 AM   #8
New Boot

I pulled the trigger on the AT897 with the Beacktek DX-4, and I am very happy with the results so far.

My only question is whether it is recommended to put the audio level meter on the FX1 to AUTO or MAN? At the moment, I have the output level on the DXA-4 cranked up to level 10.
Old June 10th, 2005, 11:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schamis
My only question is whether it is recommended to put the audio level meter on the FX1 to AUTO or MAN? At the moment, I have the output level on the DXA-4 cranked up to level 10.
Manual. Always manual.
I haven't played too much with the FX1, we have Z1's, but I do know that the Sony AGC isn't your friend on the PD 170
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 09:14 PM   #10
New Boot

David,

Curious to hear how you are mounting to the camera and how you have it cabled. Can you open the LCD?

Marc
Marc Fairorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 03:07 AM   #11
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Fairorth
David,

Curious to hear how you are mounting to the camera and how you have it cabled. Can you open the LCD?

Marc

Marc,

I am out of town right now, and therefore can't post a picture of the setup, but I have mounted the mic on top of the FX1's internal mic, and have an L-shaped XLR cable that connects to the DXA-4, which is attached to the bottom of the FX1, on the tripod mount. It all fits very nicely, and I am easily able to open and close the LCD screen.

David
David Schamis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1