Phantom Power - Z1 - Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 28th, 2005, 11:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Phantom Power - Z1 - Question

Greetings,

Okay - my understanding of phantom power is this. If an external mike does not have a battery (it's own power source) then phantom power (on) supplies the power. Now I have an wireless rig which does in fact have a 9 volt battery but I'm not certain if that actually powers the reciever which is the feed to the camera - so the question is this: am I correct in turning phantom power off when using the set up? If I turn it on - would prefer not to see a little puff of smoke. Which is the proper setting? Just another of life's little challanges. Could someone fill in the blanks for me?

Thanks,

George
George Yousko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2005, 07:36 AM   #2
Major Player

The phantom power will not supply the voltage to a 9 volt device. It is for condenser microphones like a Schoeps or Oktava. I don't think you will blow up your mic by having it on, but I would not risk it. If you are using a Lectrosonics wireless I can tell you that the phantom will not power the receiver.

George
Old May 29th, 2005, 11:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

That Answers That!

Mystery solved!

Thanks!!
George Yousko is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1