Exchange Footage for testing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 2nd, 2005, 01:56 AM   #1
Major Player

Exchange Footage for testing

Would anyone that currently is shooting the Sony be willing to send me some clips that I can import into Premier Pro 1.5 to get a feel for editing HDV footage.

I'm considering selling my 2 GL's and upgrading to HD but want to make sure that my system is going to be able to handle it. Don't need much, just a few 10 second clips or whatever you're willing to donate. Would also love to see some low light stuff since the wedding vid biz always seems to revolve around that kind of shooting.

I can supply a shipping method and will even ship back a DVD plus 1 for the effort. Would really appreciate it, you can contact me directly at miguel@lauderdaledj.com

Thanks in advance,
MIGUEL
Old June 2nd, 2005, 09:07 AM   #2
Major Player

What I understand from David Newman's posts, Vegas 6 would work best but even Premiere would work fine.
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2005, 04:58 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek Svoboda
What I understand from David Newman's posts, Vegas 6 would work best but even Premiere would work fine.

I have both, but my Premier setup is my personal favorite, I'm just looking to get some shots so that I can do some testing, I wanna see how the editing box responds.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 06:36 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I too would like to evaluate both Vegas 6 and Premiere Pro 1.5.1 for HDV editing, but I don't have any source footage yet. I'm waiting for the first review of the HC1 before I decide wether to buy that or the FX1. I'll definitely be buying one of them. Each passing day I am getting closer and closer to just buying the FX1 without waiting for the HC1. Must... Stay... Strong.

Does anybody have any scrap footage in .m2t format they would be willing to share via download? I just want to get my feet wet with an NLE before my new camera arrives.

It could be footage of your dog's food dish; It could be 30 second of your foot because you accidently hit the record button. I really don't care how mundane it is, just something to work with. Or, alternatively, if anyone knows of any online repositories for such footage, please let me know.

It seems the folks at vasst.com have taken their nice collection of .m2t files offline. That is exactly the kind of think I am looking for.

I've got a 4-disk SCSI RAID0 array that's acting up, so it would also be nice to see if it can handle the stress of HDV editing.

-Mike

Last edited by Mike Farrington; June 3rd, 2005 at 07:19 PM.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM   #5
Major Player

Mike,
I have some footage from Z1 that you could use. The problem is to get it to you(it in what form) I made a short 5 seconds post on rapidshare and boy, what a pain. If I remeber it took a while (minutes) just to export it/save it for web. 15Mb for 5-6 seconds.The picture is choppy (for whatever reason).... I will try that again (I have the footage on HD) and see what happens. Here is the link:
http://rapidshare.de/files/2038885/Felix_and_M.m2v.html
I still do not know why is choppy, but I might figure it out. I did not spend much time on it (as I saw the footage when recorded/PB) and I have no imediatte plans/need for editing HD.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
Mike,
I have some footage from Z1 that you could use. The problem is to get it to you[...]
Good point. Since I'm begging for footage, I should at least make it easy for people to send it to me.

Here's my FTP address: ftp.farringtons.net

Anybody can log in annonymously and drop stuff off in the "Uploads" folder.
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:29 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Diaconu
I made a short 5 seconds post on rapidshare and boy, what a pain.
Thank you for the file Dan. Please excuse my ignorance, but what is the difference between an .m2t file and an .m2v file? Is the .m2v video only without any sound?

Thanks,
-Mike
Old June 3rd, 2005, 10:46 PM   #8
Major Player

may your ignorance be excused, as well as mine!... for I have no idea! (:-)<
I'll try something else, it might work better (although I got nuts last time and lost my patience waiting for render and so on) but only a few seconds (took many minutes for the last time) I'll get to it tomorrow.
Dan Diaconu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:53 AM   #9
Regular Crew

If it's any use I have some clips captured with HDLink of dark wedding shots. If you are experimenting with PPro and cineform, you can import them without trouble. Let me know if you want me to put up a link.
Colvin Eccleston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 02:36 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Mike,

I have some very nice (well, in my opinion) footage that was captured at CF25, then converted to 23.97 via Cineform, then 3:2 pulldown into 29.97.

You're welcome to it, but your FTP site says it cannot locate any folders.

Stacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
Good point. Since I'm begging for footage, I should at least make it easy for people to send it to me.

Here's my FTP address: ftp.farringtons.net

Anybody can log in annonymously and drop stuff off in the "Uploads" folder.
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6th, 2005, 06:28 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Rothwell
You're welcome to it, but your FTP site says it cannot locate any folders.
That's weird, it appears to be working for me using both FTP Voyager and the Microsoft command-line FTP program. Are you sure you tried to write the file to the "Uploads" directory?
Old June 7th, 2005, 11:40 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farrington
That's weird, it appears to be working for me using both FTP Voyager and the Microsoft command-line FTP program. Are you sure you tried to write the file to the "Uploads" directory?
On my end it gives a timeout error looking for folder. It never comes up with any folders when you enter the address. Just sits there then times out.
Stacy Rothwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 12:13 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacy Rothwell
On my end it gives a timeout error looking for folder. It never comes up with any folders when you enter the address. Just sits there then times out.
Try toggling PASV mode on your FTP client. That will probably solve it.
Mike Farrington is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1