Adam Wilt reviews the Z1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old September 21st, 2005, 08:47 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Sarte
I would be really interested to know whether or not a Z1U will play back PAL on a PAL set correctly using either composite or component connections.
James, I sent you a reply e-mail about this, but in case you don't get it here's my letter to you one more time:
---

Yes, my previous statement still holds true: Z1U in 50i mode produces true PAL50 through both composite and S-Video outputs (and naturally no problems through either firewire or component output). The trick is to make sure that your camera is switched to 50i mode if you want the correct PAL colors from your 50i recording. In other words, if you leave the camera set to 60i and play a 50i recording you'll have an NTSC50 signal (PAL frame rate with NTSC colors). Or if you leave the camera set to 50i and play a 60i recording you'll have an PAL60 signal (NTSC frame rate with PAL colors). So if you leave it at 50i setting for use in Australia, you'll never have to worry about anything and it will be a true PAL signal from start to finish. Adam Wilt was wrong about this :) .

The manual does say that it's for NTSC televisions, but that's what every Sony camera's manual says by default for the North America market. I do exactly know what PAL looks like on my TV set, also I was able to capture it through Canopus ADVC100 as true PAL, my 5 year old Sony VCR recognizes is as true PAL, the very old miroVideo DC30plus capture card recognizes it as a true PAL... What else can I do to prove that it's true PAL? But even if you still don't trust my words, the Z1U's manual clearly says on page 123:

"Video signal:

NTSC color, EIA standards, 1080/60i specification
PAL color, CCIR standards, 1080/50i specification"

The last line is the exact same specification statement as on my DCR-VX1000E and DCR-TRV900E true PAL cameras.

So, have no fear as this camera does both PAL and NTSC in their native forms. You just have to switch to the correct mode to get the right color frequency out of the analog outputs.

Cheers.

Ruslan.
Ruslan Odintsov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 02:45 PM   #17
Major Player

James,

I can clear this up once and for all. Ruslan is indeed 100% correct. I live in Australia - so obviously know a bit about PAL. I have a Z1U which I purchased overseas. It works perfectly with all PAL equipment through composite out etc. If it is switched to 50i (which I obviously leave mine in all of the time) it is always seen as a 100% PAL camera.

Hope that this dispels any myths or misconceptions.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 03:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks Graeme. I also did a bit of checking myself, and ended up contacting Sony's Pro Video tech support dept. here in the US. They said the same thing both you and Ruslan are stating. I wonder why they don't bother to update their user manuals though, as it is very misleading.

Regards,

James

P.S. It's a little ironic that you replied to this thread. I was originally born and raised in Toorak (Melbourne), and my wife and I are planning on moving back to Oz next year. I wanted to buy a camcorder that I knew would not become so obsolete in a few months, and that would work where we were going. So.. thanks again!
James Sarte is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1