Z1 VS DVX100 for a music video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 15th, 2005, 01:49 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Z1 VS DVX100 for a music video

all right is the deal, i am to shoot a music video in two weeks and i'm undecided on which camera to choose. i want the pana for it's cine-style image but at the same time I guess with good post prod(desinterlacing,color correction , nattress filters etc...) this style can be achieved with the Z1 too. another thing is that there is no rental company around here that rents the dvx with the anamophormic lens which is another reason for me to go for the Z1 since it's got 16/9 mode. however i have no interest to shoot hdv so i'll shoot SD so what's the camera worth in that mode compares to pd-170? i heard cineframe mode sucks so i'll probably shoot the normal way and desinterlace on post but what if i shoot with a shutter speed over 1/50 and then de-interlace? do i get the stroboscopic effect like on the dvx?

i know it's a lot of questions but your help would be very appreciated.

thx

yohann
Yohann Kouam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 03:39 PM   #2
Major Player

Hello Yohann,

I am kind of in the same situation you are in now..I to am shooting a music video in about a week and half..And will probably use my FX1 to shoot it with.. But maybe have a second camera DVx100 availble.. (probably a video matching nightmare waiting to happen) Anyway I found a video on the web here:
http://medlem.spray.se/thisetal/
this vide was shot with the Z1, and I think it has a pretty decent film look to it.. I asked about there camera settings, but have not been able to talk to the camera operator/director.. One of the band members told me it was shot in the cinema 24 mode ..And he mentioned after effects was used for the skintone.. But that is all the info I got out of it.. I have tried myself to experiment with my FX1 using the cinema modes to mimic the Film like look..I have had mixed results.. Its not to bad if the camera is not moved very much, but I am still seeing some strobe type motion when shooting in this mode..If you notice on this music video link I posted, they did not move the camera to much either..
Anyway not sure if any of this helps..Have you experimented using the cinema modes at all on the Z1?? Any comments?? Ever tried using both these cameras and trying to match the two?? (using standard DV in edit)

Thanks,
Mike Moncrief
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

The truth is I have never used the z1 and i will have like 2 days to play around with it if it's my choice. but i was told since i'm familiard with the pd-170 it shouldn't be that different...

later
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #4
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohann Kouam
i was told since i'm familiard with the pd-170 it shouldn't be that different...
This is basically true. I just got a Z1, and haven't even had a chance to spend more than an hour or so playing around. I have a VX-2000 and PDX-10, and the Z1 still does stuff the "sony way" for the most part.

What you will find however, is that the menus have many more options, and you have to scroll way down to even get to some of them. You'll want some time to explore what some of these things do. The Picture Profiles button gives you access to a greatly enhanced version of the PD series "custom presets" with the ability to store and recall a number of them.

One thing I noticed immediately which is different from my other Sony's is that the shutter defaults to auto mode even when you have the Auto Lock slider in the center position. This is no big deal, you just need to punch the Shutter Speed button to lock it into manual mode. This threw me when I looked at the data code on a short tape I recorded and saw the shutter speed jumping all over as I adjusted the iris. They default to 1/60 shutter speed as long as you turn off Auto Shutter in the custom preset. Maybe there's a similar option on the Z-1 but I haven't found it yet.

Also, if you're planning any handheld work you'll find that the Z1 is considerably larger and heavier.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:22 PM   #5
Major Player

Hello,

Did you watch the video on the link I posted?? What do you think about the look of the video??

Mike Moncrief
Old June 15th, 2005, 04:46 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yohann Kouam
16/9 mode... cineframe mode...
Hmmm, 24p so no de-interlace in post, native 16:9, cine gamma...sounds like you want an XL2.
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:10 PM   #7
Regular Crew

mike i just saw your vid and despite it's kinda hard to judge with all that compression it seems to have a pretty nice cine-style...
Old June 15th, 2005, 06:58 PM   #8
Major Player

Hi Yohann,

Just for clarity, the video is not my video.. Just a video I found on the web that was shot with the Z1.. It appears to have a pretty decent filmic type look..And I thought it would give you a little more info to help you with your decision..

Mike Moncrief

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1