Shotgun Mike for Z1U : SOny ECM670 or At897? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 18th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Shotgun Mike for Z1U : SOny ECM670 or At897?

Hi Everyone,

My company just picked up (2) Z1U's. We needed two shotgun mikes. They were out of stock of the Sony ECM 670, (the mike that B & H links as an accessory for the Z1U) So we purchased instead (2) Audio Technica 897. When we unpacked the AT 897, we discovered that they are too thin to be held with the Z1U's mike holder. We would have to put something around the interior of the mike holder in order to get a snug fit with this mike.

Now we are thinking of exchanging these mikes for the sony ECM670's. Has anyone compared these two mikes? Any preferrences? Also, anyone that uses the AT897 with the Z1U, What do you use to make the mike fit snugly?

Thanks,
Garius
Garius Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 09:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Garius - sound wise , you're probably splitting hairs w/ the AT slightly ahead . Cut a piece of hose or tubing about 1" long , split it length wise , then use half. Kurth
Kurth Bousman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 03:25 PM   #3
Wrangler

i recently had my house painted and was given several paint samples and picked up some of those spongy black foam rubber paint appliers. i ripped one off its wooden handle and rubber-banded it to my AT897. since the foam rubber is black, it is not very noticeable. fits perfectly in an MA-300 for my GL2, and i imagine it is probably similar for the sony. cost: 50 cents.

there are so few cheap fixes in this biz, it is a joy to find one.
Meryem Ersoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2005, 03:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I have a little piece of foam around my AT 897, works perfectly and the mic is excellent. Try it a while and you'll love it.
Old June 19th, 2005, 04:58 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garius Hill
My company just picked up (2) Z1U's. We needed two shotgun mikes. They were out of stock of the Sony ECM 670, (the mike that B & H links as an accessory for the Z1U) So we purchased instead (2) Audio Technica 897. When we unpacked the AT 897, we discovered that they are too thin to be held with the Z1U's mike holder. We would have to put something around the interior of the mike holder in order to get a snug fit with this mike.

Now we are thinking of exchanging these mikes for the sony ECM670's. Has anyone compared these two mikes? Any preferrences? Also, anyone that uses the AT897 with the Z1U, What do you use to make the mike fit snugly?

Luck or the Force was with your company when you got the ATs instead of the Sony mics.

Sony is great for video stuff: cameras, recorders, monitors. But is not so good for audio. Most of their stuff is just average, and if it's a bit good will probably be overpriced, like their lapel mics.

AT mics are much better than Sony and you can take your pick from several types.

About the mic holder, you can simply use some foam to hold other mics onto it. But if I were you I would look for a way to place your mics a bit away from the camera.

Remember that the position of the camera mic, as it is, is the worst for audio. Will only be reasonable in close-ups, with the camera at less than 1 meter from subject. For other situations its sound can only be used as ambience audio, not for important dialogue.

A mic being directional or hyperdirectional doesn't mean it can be away from subject: it should be close to it, from above or from below. 50 centimeters from head, if possible. The mic directionality will just make the sound cleaner, but the closer it is the cleaner it will be. For all mics.

There's also another thing called sound plane, which has to do with the relationship of the type shot (wide shot, medium shot, close-up) and the audio. The problem is that when you go too far from subject with your mic you get too many reverberances that impair intelligibility. So there's a limit to how far you can go away from subject.

This more or less explains why the on-camera mic position is a poor one.

Carlos
Carlos E. Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2005, 07:07 PM   #6
Regular Crew

thanks

Thanks for all your very informative responses. We decided to keep the AT 897. If bought at B&H they include a 1.5 foot XLR cable and also a cool shockmount that attaches to the shoe. So, this allows me to use eith the Sony mike holder with some foam or hose as some of you suggested or the shockmount. Anyway, I think I will be happy with the AT897
Garius Hill is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1