Can FX1 (NTSC) play PAL DV or HDV 50i? or vice versa? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 25th, 2005, 05:04 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Can FX1 (NTSC) play PAL DV or HDV 50i? or vice versa?

The FX1 (NTSC) manual doesn't describe if the camera can play PAL DV or HDV 1080i50 and the FX1E (PAL) manual doesn't describe if the camera can play NTSC DV or HDV 1080i60. COULD SOMEONE PLEASE CLARIFY?!?!?!
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 05:43 PM   #2
Barry Wan Kenobi

Don't have a unit to test, but I'd strongly suspect the answer is no. Most DV cameras can't play the other format (i.e., they're PAL-only or NTSC-only). Unless Sony were to specifically advertise PAL-compatible playback on the NTSC unit, you're pretty safe to assume that it won't. And vice versa.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:13 PM   #3
CTO, CineForm Inc.

They do play each others format.
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:39 PM   #4
Major Player

I have two HDV camcorders: a Sony FX-1e 1080i (PAL) and a JVC HD-10u 720p (NTSC).

I have been able to play 720p NTSC encoded MiniDV cassettes from the JVC with the FX-1e. Display was via component on a 83cm WS LCD HDTV (NTSC/PAL).

Unfortunately my HD-10u has never been able to display via component, so I haven't tried using a 1080i PAL encoded tape from the FX-1e in the HD-10u. I've got the faintest suspicion that it mightn't work the other way around...

I haven't attempted connecting via firewire for capturing from the "out of standard" tapes either. I'd be very surprised if it worked... The component output appears to be before the encoder, so that could well explain why playback via component works.

I wouldn't be surprised at DV encoded material playing back on a HDV camcorder, but I'm sure surprised that the NTSC 720p tapes played back (and without nasty errors!!) in a PAL 1080i camcorder...
Steve Crisdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #5
Barry Wan Kenobi

I would expect the HDV 720p data to play back on the 1080i camera, even in 50i mode, and vice versa (although not through the firewire). HDV seems to be a lot more format agnostic than PAL/NTSC. The JVC HD100's tape deck specifications show support for basically all the HDV modes, but only NTSC in the DV mode, etc.

David, are you saying you've verified playing a PAL DV tape in an NTSC FX1? Or an NTSC DV tape in a PAL FX1? Not talking about Z1's here, or HDV move, but basic DV playing in the opposite system.
Barry Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #6
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We have a array of PAL and NTSC FX1s, we often forget which we are using and play tapes from the wrong format. Everyting works, although timecode/batch capture can be off.
Old June 26th, 2005, 09:50 PM   #7
Major Player

Out of curiosity, I played my 720p NTSC HD-1 footage on my PAL FX-1 camera and it played fine but greenish on the camera flip-out screen and beautifully but in black and white for some reason when I plugged it into my 32" NTSC Sony standard definition TV set. I wonder why that is.
Betsy Moore is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1