Turn Your Sony Ntsc Camera Into Pal??? Article Claims Possible With Sony Remote!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old July 7th, 2005, 10:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Turn Your Sony Ntsc Camera Into Pal??? Article Claims Possible With Sony Remote!!

Well I stumbled upon this. Imagine turning your FX1 NTSC in to a FX1 pal or even into a Z1!!! According to this article you can and it’s a secret Sony doesn't want us to know about. You can enable locked features as well.

Check it out.

http://www.dvcentral.org/tricks.html
Joel Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:22 AM   #2
Regular Crew

So cool, now someone just needs to send me the script to enable the stretch black setting on my FX1.
Old July 7th, 2005, 11:36 AM   #3

Be very, very aware that messing with this can:
1. Trash your camera forever.
2. void the warranty in any event.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #4
Major Player

It's illegal in Europe and US but I'm sure there some country like Sri Lanca, or one of channel islands or Linchenstein in Europe, where this could be legal.

It would be great if someone would setup shop there, legally added true CF24 48 Hz to my FX1E.

The cameras may have lot more features, with push of magic button.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:07 PM   #5
Major Player

man i wish one of those guys that tore the fx1 apart to mount a 35mm lens on it would try this out...
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Major Player

illegal? how would any one know? it can't be illegal. the purchaser has the right to do what ever he/she wants to with what they purchase. but as spot said void of warranty and possible damage to camera. use at your own risk.

JC
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spotted Eagle
2. void the warranty in any event.
You just have to know trick to change back to original settings.

Once camera is yours, can do whatever you want with it. If you send somewhere where mod is legal, Sony can't do anything about it.

People crack code all time. As long as you do for yourself or in country where the pro Sony laws exist not, you're fine.

Radek
Radek Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 12:34 PM   #8

Radek,
It's not about "Pro Sony" laws. Laws like that would be illegal. Sony would LOVE to be able to ship cams that record over firewire to EU.

As far as cracking the code, it's not illegal at all. It's just something that you need to be aware of that if you do this incorrectly and don't know EXACTLY what you are doing, you could code the camera wrong and it's toast. yes, someone might be able to get it back for you, but Sony won't be the one, since it's a non-warrantied experience.

Personally, I think it's great that some folks have the $$ to tear into these cams and see what makes them tick. I just have a problem when they share their results without proper caveats. I feel that's irresponsible on their part. If you follow their instructions but damage your camera, do they pay for it?

But...to each his/her own.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 02:41 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I bought the FX1 last fall, under the impression that it WOULD convert HDV to SD DV 3:4 through the FireWire output. Of course, only the Z1 (and the Sony HDV VCR) will perform that conversion, as I later learned on this forum. I own the Sony programable RM-95 Remote, and I'd love to find the code that would allow me to gain DV SD 3:4 output on my FX1.

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful.

Ben
Ben Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Some speculation over here too:

http://www.uemforums.com/2pop/ubbthr...rev=#Post90833
Bjorn Moren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 05:28 PM   #11
Major Player

ben, please let us know if you get it to work!!!!
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:32 PM   #12
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Once camera is yours, can do whatever you want with it.
That's absolutely true, *however* the manufacturer is NOT obligated to fix the thing once you've cracked it open. Thus, the voided warranty.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Sony cameras and reprogramming

I'm not sure I understand the point of the original posting in this thread. The article linked-to is almost 10 years old, and doesn't have any reference to HDV that I could see. The article refers to enabling firewire-in on some old Sony PAL MiniDV cameras that were sold in Europe without the ability to record via firewire (because by doing so they would be a "VCR device" under European law and subject to additional taxes, apparently designed to protect the domestic VCR market, and Sony hid the enable-codes apparently because it worried that if record-enable became routine thing, the tax assessors would retroactively declare all their PAL MiniDV cameras as a VCR-device and assess a lot of back taxes.)

If there's anything about HDV devices on that page, maybe someone could point me to it.
John Beale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:29 PM   #14
Trustee

This is like one of those messages put out by people who do not know how to write viruses, so they get you to forward stuff and it clogs up the net with a bunch of junk.

The article is old. The FX1 came out before the Z1 so the chances of it having the same capabilities are pretty much nonexistant.

If the Z1 had come first, then the FX1, I would believe there might be dormant, or disabled features hiding from us. But that is just not the case.

Get real folks. Next thing you know you will be sending your banking info to some lawyer in Nigeria!
Old July 7th, 2005, 10:40 PM   #15
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Next thing you know you will be sending your banking info to some lawyer in Nigeria!
Compliment of the day! This letter may come to you as a surprise due to the fact that we have not yet met. As you read this, I don't want you to feel sorry for me, because, I Believe everyone will die someday.

The sad thing is, I actually remember when the DV-In hack really was news. Oy. But to be young again.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1