Sony HVR-Z1U Buying HELP!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old March 1st, 2010, 09:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony HVR-Z1U Buying HELP!!

Hello everyone!!! Let me start off by giving myself a re birth to the DV craze. I had about a year break due to Army training and re assignment. I have the chance to buy a Sony HVR-Z1U with a couple of accessories from a friend for $2700. I worked with a Canon XL1 for about 2 years and "upgraded" to an XL2 and let me tell you.........I was not impressesed!!! I am a beginer that's looking for a colorful sharp picture that makes people say, WOW! that looks really good! I did not get that from my canons. I have a Macbook Pro with 4 gigs of ram and adobe cs4. I have the money to buy this camera but don't want to make this big purchase and be unhappy because its not what I expected. I assume that because it's HD that the picture will be impressive. Please let me know the goods and bads, I guess everyones response will push my desicion! thanks in advance
Victor Guzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2010, 10:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The Z1 is a brilliant workhorse of a cam that will give you stunning pictures for years to come, and that price isn't too bad. But for just a little more you could have a new FX1000, which will give you sharper pix at the cost of fewer pro features (including XLR audio inputs and a lot more).

Depends upon what's more important -- raw picture quality or more features.

You might also want to consider the Canon A1s.

Note: You will not be happy editing HDV on a laptop.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I figured the laptop wasnt going to be suitable for hardcore editing. I have a Dell XPS 420 with an intel quad core 2.4 ghz and 3 gig ram, and it gets by pretty good, just gotta upgrade my graphics card and get better ram
Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

By the way, what is the difference between 3CCD and CMOS
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM   #5
Inner Circle

3CCDs don't suffer from Rolling shutter or Flash Banding artifacts. 3CMOS does (an example of the worst case scenario is the 1080p24 mode on the Panasonic HPX300 at long focal lengths)

Read up on this: CMOS Rolling Shutter

Heck, modern Films like Slumdog Millionaire and even 2012 (one scene especially) have flash banding issues.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1