DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/)
-   -   Need suggestion on a Microphone (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-hvr-z1-hdr-fx1/477178-need-suggestion-microphone.html)

K.C. Kennedy April 19th, 2010 04:21 PM

Need suggestion on a Microphone

I have an FX 1 with Beachtek Dxa-Fx adapter and an azden Sgm-1x and would like to get a better sound. I'm on a budget and can't go as far as me66/k6 way. Can someone recommend between AT897 and NTG-1 or 2? Thank you in advance.
KC.

Edward Carlson April 19th, 2010 06:31 PM

NTG-2. I personally love the Rode short shotguns. I prefer them over the ME66, in fact. The ME66 sounds, as someone else said, too brittle and bright.
Unless the Beachtek provides phantom power, you'll want the NTG-2 because it is battery powered.

Allan Black April 19th, 2010 06:49 PM

Yep the NTG-2 sounds better .. and when you come to sell it sometime waaaaay in the future you'll have more chance because of its battery option :)

A customer call RODE get is from folk who forget to remove the battery when they start powering the NTG-2 with 48 volts .. and the battery goes flat and some leak. That's not covered by warranty :(

Cheers.

Vito DeFilippo April 19th, 2010 07:17 PM

Another vote for the NTG2. I love mine.

I bought it from BandH with the shock mount, and McGivered it to mount on my Z1. Helped a lot with the handling noise, which I found bad on the Z1.

Check the little screws on the barrel once in a while. They can come loose over time.

Edward Carlson April 19th, 2010 07:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 1516684)
Another vote for the NTG2. I love mine.

I bought it from BandH with the shock mount, and McGivered it to mount on my Z1. Helped a lot with the handling noise, which I found bad on the Z1.

Check the little screws on the barrel once in a while. They can come loose over time.

Great minds think alike. I made a mount for my DVC30. I'm missing a screw on the side of my NTG-1, good advice to check them periodically.

Vito DeFilippo April 19th, 2010 07:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I caught mine before losing the screw, but it was a close one. Here's the mount I made with the end of a broomstick, believe it or not. Works great. I painted it after this picture.

K.C. Kennedy April 19th, 2010 08:30 PM

You guys are a great bunch. So NTG-2 over AT897?
I bought the Azden a while back before I knew about this forum and only based on a price, for some reason I never hear anybody recommending Azden at all, never see anybody using it either, I can't really complain about the one I have because I never compared it with another brand, but is the Rode really that much better?

Also, Edward, do you have a panny and fx1/z1? If so, when you do editing, do you find the picture profiles being hard to match? My partner has a dvc30 and when we shoot with two cameras his colors look way brighter and punchier vs fx1's dull and flat colors, what's the solution to this?

K.C. Kennedy April 25th, 2010 10:53 PM

Wow, topic died on the word Azden?

:( so, nobody owns azden? Is it that bad?