Need suggestion on a Microphone at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 19th, 2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Need suggestion on a Microphone

I have an FX 1 with Beachtek Dxa-Fx adapter and an azden Sgm-1x and would like to get a better sound. I'm on a budget and can't go as far as me66/k6 way. Can someone recommend between AT897 and NTG-1 or 2? Thank you in advance.
KC.
K.C. Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Major Player

NTG-2. I personally love the Rode short shotguns. I prefer them over the ME66, in fact. The ME66 sounds, as someone else said, too brittle and bright.
Unless the Beachtek provides phantom power, you'll want the NTG-2 because it is battery powered.
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:49 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yep the NTG-2 sounds better .. and when you come to sell it sometime waaaaay in the future you'll have more chance because of its battery option :)

A customer call RODE get is from folk who forget to remove the battery when they start powering the NTG-2 with 48 volts .. and the battery goes flat and some leak. That's not covered by warranty :(

Cheers.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:17 PM   #4
Trustee

Another vote for the NTG2. I love mine.

I bought it from BandH with the shock mount, and McGivered it to mount on my Z1. Helped a lot with the handling noise, which I found bad on the Z1.

Check the little screws on the barrel once in a while. They can come loose over time.
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo View Post
Another vote for the NTG2. I love mine.

I bought it from BandH with the shock mount, and McGivered it to mount on my Z1. Helped a lot with the handling noise, which I found bad on the Z1.

Check the little screws on the barrel once in a while. They can come loose over time.
Great minds think alike. I made a mount for my DVC30. I'm missing a screw on the side of my NTG-1, good advice to check them periodically.
Attached Thumbnails
Need suggestion on a Microphone-img_0056.jpg  
Edward Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #6
Trustee

I caught mine before losing the screw, but it was a close one. Here's the mount I made with the end of a broomstick, believe it or not. Works great. I painted it after this picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Need suggestion on a Microphone-broom_mount.jpg  
Old April 19th, 2010, 08:30 PM   #7
Regular Crew

You guys are a great bunch. So NTG-2 over AT897?
I bought the Azden a while back before I knew about this forum and only based on a price, for some reason I never hear anybody recommending Azden at all, never see anybody using it either, I can't really complain about the one I have because I never compared it with another brand, but is the Rode really that much better?

Also, Edward, do you have a panny and fx1/z1? If so, when you do editing, do you find the picture profiles being hard to match? My partner has a dvc30 and when we shoot with two cameras his colors look way brighter and punchier vs fx1's dull and flat colors, what's the solution to this?
K.C. Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Wow, topic died on the word Azden?

:( so, nobody owns azden? Is it that bad?
K.C. Kennedy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1