Does Sennheiser K6 fit direct to HVR-Z1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old April 29th, 2010, 04:30 AM   #1
New Boot

Does Sennheiser K6 fit direct to HVR-Z1?

Do any of you use Sennheiser K6/ME64 with HVR-Z1? Does it fit into the original mic holder on the camera or is any spacer tube need as when fitting a Sony ECM-NV1 in the holder?

How is the wind sensitivity on the mic?

I often shoot out from trains, like you see in the trailer below (sorry about the language, but the final DVD also have English subtitles...). I’m looking for a mono mic with very little wind sensitivity to fit on the camera. And we will soon filming a similar event, using one Z1 on each train, this time with diesel trains, and I’m in need of one new microphone on each camera. Last time we had one ECM-NV1 with big Reinhardt furs on each camera, but one of those cameras will not be available this time. So I was wondering to buy two better microphones for my two Z1 cameras.

YouTube - BJs SJK Parallellkörning med ånglok på Västkustbanan

Last edited by Peter Berggren; April 29th, 2010 at 04:31 AM. Reason: Try to spell better... :-)
Peter Berggren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Peter..............

Can't answer your question directly as I have no info on the Z1, but the K6 power module (and ME series mic's) are 22.2 mm in diameter.

They don't natively fit the Canon XH series cameras so expect they may be a tad thin for the Z1 as well.

As for wind sensitivity, average, like most mic's. When they, my ME's, that is, go out to play they always have either a Rycote Softie or on a bad day the full monty Rycote Windjammer blimp and outer dead cat.

Judging from the trailer, you really make those mic's work for a living and in a howling gale to boot.

The scary thing about the ME64 (don't get me wrong, it's a great mic and does what it's supposed to very well indeed) is that if you plug it into the camera and put on a set of cans to monitor, it's picking up sound from all over the place - behind you, from each side, ABOVE (yeah, that plane that to your ears was well out of ear shot, suddenly isn't), everywhere.

For that reason it only ever comes out in environments where I have a significant amount of control (which isn't often) so my two weapons of choice are the ME66 & ME67.

The ME67 lives on my camera so that the sound field closely resembles the visual field. The ME66 goes into bat for street interviews and those urban shoots when there is no way to control extraneous noise (cars, motor mowers, planes, air con etc) and the narrow sound field of the pair can be used to "cut through" the clutter.

For your application I'd probably recomend the ME66 as a better all rounder than the ME64, with the ME67 being an even better "clutter cutter"".

Good luck.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2010, 09:22 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Does Sennheiser K6 fit direct to HVR-Z1

The Sennheiser K6 Powermodule has XLR connection. The Sony HVR-Z1 has 2 XLR mike inputs. You can use the cams 48V phantom power. So no AA battery required in the K6. I use ME66 and the ME67 modules on a HVR-Z7, and they are both pretty sensitive. I don't think you can get good sound with any of their modules (there are another three available: ME62, ME64 and ME65) shooting out of a train window, even with a high quality wind noise absorber. Perhaps from inbetween carriages.
Ciao, Gerd

Last edited by Gerd Kogler; April 29th, 2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: oversight
Gerd Kogler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:47 PM   #4
New Boot

Does Sennheiser K6 fit direct to HVR-Z1?

No, the K6 series mic's are too thin in diameter to fit into the mic holder on the Z1. I have tried to wrap them in rubber but even then they are not very secure.
Darrill Stoddart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM   #5
Major Player

Agreed - too thin for the Z1 mount. I use a Rycote Multimount in the accessory shoe.

However... if you shoot "out of trains" (=8-O) you'll probably need a full Zeppelin on a pole?
Attached Images

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1