What would be a fair deal on a Z1U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old May 30th, 2010, 06:47 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What would be a fair deal on a Z1U

Looking at purchasing a camera to upgrade my PD150. Originally looking at going with AVCHD but have seen a few Z1Us for sale, and thinking that if it is a good step up from the PD150 that I may consider it. Would this still be a good camera to consider, or are there much better cameras out therefor a price even comparible at a used Z1U price. Originally looking at AX2000, which is $3499 US, but starts at $4400 in Canada.

Thanks
Mark
Mark Chafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #2
Major Player

I think you can get a used Z1U for $2500-$3000 (USD) easy.

But I would first think about if tape still makes a lot of sense to you. Both linear shooting / capturing & HDV are getting a little long in the tooth. I own a Z7U & believe that it will still serve me well for a few years to come, but I went for the Z7 b/c it does tape & compact flash. If I had to replace my Z7 or get a new camera, I highly doubt I would go tape based.

I loved the Z1U that I had for about a year in my prior job. And think it is a stand up camera. Just is it the right camera & workflow for you.

To me, even Flip HD cameras can produce good images, so I think nearly every camera out there today can make a good picture. The question is does it fit with your workflow & does the user-interface fit your shooting style.
Old May 31st, 2010, 05:56 AM   #3
Trustee

I would look at a used HMC-150 for about $2800, or even a used EX1 for about $4000. The Z1 is a great camera, but the odds of an expensive repair are much greater on a tape-based camera. One repair and you're investment is completely lost.
Old May 31st, 2010, 08:22 PM   #4
Major Player

Hi Mark

I own a Z1U and an AX2000. I upgraded from a pd170 to a Z1U as my 1st HD camera. I recently just purchased the AX2000. The tapeless workflow definitely has it's advantages but I am not completely sold on the camera yet. The AX functions better in low light which is good. However there seems to be times when I really prefer the image out of the Z1. It just seems a little bit tighter to me in certain lighting environments. Sorry I cannot be more specific than that, I am still trying to figure out why and have only used the new cam on about 8-10 shoots. I bought my Z1 used for $1900 off this forum in November of 2008. Keep your eye out and you should be able to pick one up for somewhere around 2,000. If you do have $4500 - 5000 to spend I would pick up a used EX1. That is my next purchase!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1