Is my FX1 trashed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old June 20th, 2010, 01:10 PM   #1
Trustee

Is my FX1 trashed?

I had a shoot the other day, and my B-Roll FX1's Zoom went nuts.

It seems that the FX1 zoomed in on my subject as is staying zoomed in.
If I try to zoom, out the camera starts to zoom in automatically again, and won't hold focus.

That's another thing, in that the camera focus doesn't seem to be responding. As when I turn the focus ring I don't get much of a result.

Did my Zoom/Focus servo go bad?

And if so, does anyone know how much it might be to get it repaired?
Old June 26th, 2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Some LANC zoom controllers do odd things when first connected up to the camera. Or was your FX1 unwired to LANC? Has it got wet - could the buttons have had a bad dose of condensation? After drying out it may get better.

You'll only see focus changes at the long focal lengths, not at wide-angle. Your auto / manual / infinity switch is working ok?

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Trustee

Tom thanks for the reply.
First off, I wasn't using a LANC remote,, so this I guess this is ruled out.

I thought that condensation could be a problem as it was extremely humid both weekends.
But even after the camera has sat for a week, the problem still persists.

As far as the focus is concerned, I am not able to use auto focus, or really focus for that matter.
One of the reasons being that the lens is zoomed in full telephoto, and as I said before, when I zoom wide, the camera slowly zooms back in to full telephoto.

I tried several camera resets, as well as a power reset, all with no positive results.

It's starting to sound like the lens block will have to be replaced, as Sony doesn't sell arts for the lens itself, so noone can repair it, but rather have to purchase an entire lens block assembly to do the job.
Old June 26th, 2010, 04:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Any possibility you have a stuck "switch" in one of the zoom rockers? Those might be easier/cheaper to diagnose/fix?

It's possible it's the lens, but just offhand it sounds like something is "signalling" it that you want to zoom in, and won't stop...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1