Repair or Not? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 12:20 PM   #31
Inner Circle

AVCHD has a "split" at the 2G file size - I don't know what Sony provides to properly stitch the files together with the AX2000, but EVERY handycam comes with PMB, and when you ingest the footage, it automatically puts the 2G files together into ONE seamless file.

I think it's people who try to drag the raw files from the camera on longer clips that get tripped up by this - it's a non-issue if you use the provided software, and there is also a small program someone here on the forums cooked up to achieve the same result.
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 08:59 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Repair or Not?

I didn't find any software to convert the MTS files with the AX2000. Rather, the software provided is a fie mangement program. Sony says it doesn't offer that kind of software with this model Perhaps the NX5U comes with it?

Anthony
Anthony Cipriano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2010, 10:26 AM   #33
Major Player

That "file manager" that came with the AX2000 --- that should be Sony's "Picture Motion Browser" (PMB). That is what you use to stitch the card-spanning clips together. It does this automatically when you designate the files on your AX2000 (plugged in via the USB connector) for download. The NX5 comes the "Content Management Utility" which is a more elaborate and less user friendly utility. I believe all are free downloads from Sony if your AX2000 did not come with any CDs.

I haven't actually checked on spanning two cards with my NX5 since I've had the FMU unit, but there are undoubtedly others who have. I'd try posting in the NX/AX sub-forum or maybe try a PM to Sherri Nestico who has a number of posts on her experiences using the AX2000 for event and ENG video.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2010, 08:46 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Repair or Not?

Thanks for the suggestions Jay Do you know if Panasonic'''s AVCHD format is any different than Sony's? I have heard that editing Sony's is tricker than Panasonic's version.

Going back to my FX-1, I think I'm going to have another house look at fixing it. I think the $2500.00 range is too high to justify fixing a now-antiquated camcorder but if the price is not too high, then it might be worth fixing. It's too bad the Compact Flash recording unit that fits the Z5U is so darn high in price, I might consider going for that unit that allows both tape and tapeless means of video.And right now, it's been discounted to $3700.00 afer the mail is rebate is taken into account. I guess Sony wants to get rid of its inventory of Z5Us to sell the NX5U? I can't think of any other reason to throw money to people.

Anthony
Old November 1st, 2010, 10:38 PM   #35
Inner Circle

An FX1 with low hours just sold for 1600 dollars in our classified. I just bought one for $1400, and a friend bought one for $1500. If you like the FX1, you might consider just buying another one also.
Old November 5th, 2010, 07:59 PM   #36
Regular Crew

Repair or Not?

Thanks Jeff. I'll check those classifieds out.
Old November 6th, 2010, 04:56 AM   #37
Inner Circle

BTW, Anthony, the FX-1s my friend and I bought were on Craigs list. I would have preferred to buy mine here of course but everything turned out fine.
Old November 6th, 2010, 05:27 PM   #38
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Cipriano View Post
Thanks for the suggestions Jay Do you know if Panasonic'''s AVCHD format is any different than Sony's? I have heard that editing Sony's is tricker than Panasonic's version.

Anthony
As far as I know, AVC-Intra from Panasonic is no trickier than AVCHD to edit. What you may have heard is that it may have been more work for the programmers who were writing the editing programs, but they seem to have gotten through that part just fine. I haven't had any trouble with AVCHD under PPro CS5 or Avid MC5 except for some slowdown due to computing loads incurred with six and seven cam multicam shoots with six audio tracks. The only actual "tricks" I've found are: (a) using AVCHD sequence presets or (b) working with shorter sequences. To be sure, HDV is a considerably lighter load on a computer than either flavor of AVC. But, it is not "tricky."

Maybe "tricky" referred to ingesting footage rather than editing it? The tricky bit with ingesting AVCHD, as I undertsand it, was the need to use 32bit FAT so that files would be compatible with both Macs and PCs and so they could be be schlepped between them. That choice limits recording file sizes to 4gb and requires "stitching" for clips longer than 18 minutes. I've found the PMB "stitching" to be transparent and nothing I've ever had to even think about while using the Sony software..
Old November 11th, 2010, 07:52 PM   #39
Regular Crew

FX-1 Repair or Not

Yeah, "tricky" as in the "capture to pc." Jay. One thing that is making me hesitant to buy one or an AX2000 is the 2 gig recording complaint I'm reading on B&H's site. Users complain that after 2 gigs, there is a gap in video/audio? Why is that? I would expect that a 16 gig SD card would offer uninterrupted video "taping" but apparently, that's not the case with some users.Has anyone out there experienced this? And I thought Sony only had "rolling shutter" issues with its CMOS based camcordersr!

On the subject of my FX-1, I ended up sending it to Sony in Texas and the estimate came back today. $500.00 plus tax to fix it! I don't know what they're going to do for that price but supposedly, they restore it to "factory preset" condition. I can't believe the price differential between what I was quote here in Connecticut ($2700.00) and this quote. Of course, I'm having it repaired for that price and I'll let you all know how it runs once I get it back. I realize that HDV is on the way out in place of AVCHD for many reasons but I'll stay wtih this camcorder a bit longer and save for an NX5U! Thanks for everyone's insights and comments on this title!.
Old November 11th, 2010, 11:13 PM   #40
Major Player

You may get an audio "gap" if you simply import directly from the disk using Windows Explorer. But, if you use Sony's PMB or CMU utility, you do not get the audio gap. It is completely transparent to the user. I've shot multi-hour sessions of things (legal depositions, extremely long dance recitals, etc.) and never had an audio gap problem. Let's say I have a clip that was divided into 4 segments. If I look at the SDHC card with Windows Explorer, I see four separate files. (Actually, I see four mts files and four "cmu" files; that's how Sony's AVCHD works.) But, if I use the CMU/PMB, I see one clip. It almost always comes in to the computer as one single clip. No audio gaps. Even when (for reasons I do not understand), I get two files instead of one, there is no audio gap.

My experience is that two 16 gb cards in relay mode (the AX and NX have two SD slots) offers about 170 minutes of uninterrupted "taping." A single 16gb card offers about 85 minutes of "taping." A 32gb card doubles that. Never had a problem stitching clips.

If you are using a Mac, it might be a different story since (if I recall correctly) the PMB/CMU browsers do not run on Macs.

The $500 Sony service quote for the FX1 sounds like the standard quote for a factory service center overhaul. If it were me, I'd check back with them to be sure that covers the lens damage problem that started this discussion. It might be that they only need a new barrel for the lenses, and that is probably something included in the $500. But, if there is any problem with the glass, it might (or might not) be a lot more expensive. Just make sure that there won't be charges for "parts."
Old November 12th, 2010, 11:17 PM   #41
Major Player

Anthony,:

It occurred to me that you might be unfamiliar with "stitching" and think it is some new kludge by Sony. Actually, it is a relatively old and very well established kludge. Back in the previous century, in early days of computer-based NLE, pretty much any windows-based editing system had to use "stitching" because Windows 95 and 98 could not read files larger than 2 gb. So, you captured in 2 gb increments from tape. Back then, I occasionally used Adobe Premiere (version 5, I think) and mostly worked with a progam called EditDV. Because of the 2 gig file size limitation, that meant the camera tape was ingested as a series of 9 minute clips. Never had any trouble with it. Just laid the clips end to end and everything was in synch with no gaps.
Old February 8th, 2011, 05:46 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Tony if you're looking for another fx1 let me know i think i might be parting ways with mine, and its pretty local, you can check it out in person.

Otherwise let use know how this story ends, a good read!
Martin Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17th, 2011, 06:11 PM   #43
Regular Crew

Re: Repair or Not?

Sorry Martin. I haven't been on this site for some time and missed your offer. It's funny. Since I got the
FX-1 back from Sony, I noticed that when I'm moving the camera around, I get this kind of shimmering effect on playback. Not sure if there's something else going on since the cam took a fall but perhaps the camera is just getting "old." I've had it since 2004 and used it alot over the years. I'm considering purchasing either the AX-2000 or the NX5U to replace it but will really miss the 3CCD chips rather than the CMOS sensors that Sony now equips these cameras with. Must be cheaper to produce. Are you doing the same thing? Upgrading to tapeless?
Anthony Cipriano is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1