how much longer will the Z1 be good for today's HD standards? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old October 11th, 2010, 10:19 AM   #1
Major Player

how much longer will the Z1 be good for today's HD standards?

I really like the Z1,

still, I ask myself, how much more can HDV "live" realistically, with the current prosumer camcorder or even consumer ones (after all it has been launched more than 5 years ago now)?
should one sell it now that the value is still quite high or hold on to it?

F
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Regular Crew

To answer how long to expect HDV to live I would say to look at DV. Probably most event videographers are capturing in DV using cameras like the PD-170. I know that I have had almost zero requests for HD from clients. I have had a couple that I booked who specifically wanted HD but all others couldn't seem to care less. I usually offer a supplemental a Blu-ray release with the DVD for a nominal fee and I haven't had any takers.

What you are probably wondering about if the HDV format is going to become obsolete much as the analog video standard which preceded DV has now become unusable. What will ultimately determine that is when the consumer viewing medium exceeds 1440x1080. Analog video became deceased because the DVD's 480 resolution exceeded it. Now we have a large number of consumers acquiring HD TVs but only playing DVDs through them. That's probably why many event videographers are still doing fine with mere DV camcorders. It stands to reason, though, that in another year or two that Blu-ray players will become commonplace and potential clients looking for wedding videos will be routinely asking for Blu-ray HD. Your Z1 will still serve that market. Some period of years after that (5-10?) the next generation video at 2k or maybe 4k may start appearing in consumer living rooms. Assume that history repeats itself and a couple of years after that brides start asking for 4k or whatever is in the mainstream of consumer entertainment. At that time your Z1 will become obsolete. That's a lot of time left for the Z1.

Look at it this way: What are you going to replace the Z1 with today? Anything you buy today will lose its usefulness for event videography when you Z1 loses its usefulness. The newer cameras such as the Sony Z7 have more light gathering capabilities and other advantages that you would gain from upgrading but your issue was with the camcorder becoming outmoded. That's a LONG way off.

The Z1 is an excellent camera given that you are using it where enough light is available.
Old October 12th, 2010, 01:06 PM   #3
Major Player

It is useful as long as you and your clients are happy with the results.

Personally I dislike the Z1. I dislike the ergonomics, operation and the picture it produces. I think it is very soft compared to a decent HD camera and the lens distorts and is low quality compared to more recent cameras. However, many clients don't care about or notice any of the above.

If you hold on to it it will devalue further but probably not as much as the camera that will replace it. The advantage of upgrading to a better camera is that it may allow you into higher level work. An EX1 is flawed but can produce images that will intercut with top end cameras, a Z1 will not.
Old October 12th, 2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I'd suggest keeping it or go with the FX1000 or Z7. I have a friend who still shoots $4K weddings with his Z1. I find his footage less than stellar companred with the FX1000.

Economically speaking, to sell the Z1 and buy the FX1000 would be a sensible move. You are moving into a better lens, better low light performance, and if you got $2K for your Z1 you would have better images for around $1200 dollars. You don't have the professional features with the FX1000 of course, but it is a great camera for the money. I shot the FX1000 next to the FX1 in a dark church and it was easy to see the FX1000 is clearly superior in low light.
Old October 17th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Perale View Post
I really like the Z1, still, I ask myself, how much more can HDV "live" realistically
If we take this as your question then there's no doubt that HDV to tape has had its day. It was a mighty fine day, seeing as how the FX1 in 2004 showed how the same tape mechanism and the same tapes had suddenly been given a new lease of life. It was a remarkable achievement - an hour of hi-def on a $2 tape and backwards compatible to boot. Impressive technology.

But although the Z7 (and to a lesser extent the Z5) introduced HDV to CF, these were in effect stepping stones to what was clearly going to be the next big AVCHD step. Panasonic started the ball rolling with the 150/151 and Sony bounced back with the NX5, and in my view this new format will have the same sort of longevity as HDV (5 years or so).

I really liked my Z1. I had it over 4 years, used it lots and sold it early this year, when it had depreciated very little. But as tape decks fade away the market for such machines begins to evaporate, however good the camera. People (unfairly) see tape as old fashioned, and the buzz word tapeless draws them away from your Z1.

So in your shoes I'd say sell it now, and go AVCHD. But here I have to disagree with Mike - I find the Z1's ergonomics to be quite excellent, and way better than the NX5 that I replaced it with. Better than the Z7 by a mile. The Z1 is a tough, reliable camera that sold by the skip-load, and for very good reason. The NX5 may be a stop better in the gloom, but that's neither here nor there if you're an accomplished filmmaker. Mike's right about intercutting footage btw.

My NX5's picture quality is not a smidgen different to the Z1 once they're both on DVD. It may have a more useful zoom range and the fear of dropout has gone, but it's flash-banding is horrible in wedding films, simply horrible. It's no landmark camera as the Z1 was.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Major Player

why would then next big step be AVCHD and not XDCAM?
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM   #7
Trustee

It really depends on how you are using it.

If you are a solo shooter with one camera editing all your own footage, then you've got plenty of time left with the Z1. However, if you freelance or DoP for other directors/editors you will be needing to upgrade soon to meet their demands.

The Z1 was a great workhorse camera but it definitely looks tired next to newer cameras. However, down-converting to DVD narrows the gap meaning it can still hold it's own.

Personally I love HDV and don't wan't to see it dissappear too fast. HD quality, instant archive, redundancy with units such as the Sony CF recorder, easy down-conversion, only 13gb per hour of footage & it cuts like butter even on a laptop. I'm currently shooting on the FX7 & also hiring Z1's occasionally, and I think when the time comes to upgrade the aging FX7 next year I'll stick with HDV and the Z5.
John Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2010, 09:25 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Federico Perale View Post
why would then next big step be AVCHD and not XDCAM?
Because the NX5 is the rightful Z1's replacement. The EX1 was a whole new format, and with it came new batteries, lens design, Lanc protocol and so on.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1