Z1U vs. FX1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old February 18th, 2006, 04:19 PM   #16
Inner Circle

While I watched Sin City, when they showed a hooker in "old town" with really blue eyes, toward the end of the movie, I found myself thinking, could that effect somehow maybe be worked into a wedding video gracefully. Personally, I thought it was a stunning visual effect and made the woman look very alluring.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 10:20 AM   #17
Major Player

Can you add a mic to the FX1?

Also how close to a FX1 upgrade?
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2006, 08:26 PM   #18
MPS Digital Studios

You can always buy an adaptor for the FX1 to put a mic in.

heath
Old March 4th, 2006, 08:27 PM   #19
MPS Digital Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Wright
While I watched Sin City, when they showed a hooker in "old town" with really blue eyes, toward the end of the movie, I found myself thinking, could that effect somehow maybe be worked into a wedding video gracefully. Personally, I thought it was a stunning visual effect and made the woman look very alluring.
Z1, Color Correct/Extract--use only memory 1 and select Phase and set it to around 30, 31 or 0.

hwm
Old April 21st, 2006, 10:54 PM   #20
Regular Crew

1 lux difference

Hi

I just don't understand how there can be no difference - since FX1 and Z1 there is a difference of 1 Lux. I did read any "clear" comments about the difference of this "1" lux - down to reality (wedding ceremony- event videography).
I also read no staright comments from pd-170/xv-2100 users that also work with these new HD models from Sony. Do you guys miss the "1 lux' compared to "2 and 3 lux" when it comes to low light events events? Or not? Or, a more straight question, if these new cameras weren't HD would you buy them to replace the VX-2100 AND pd170?

I just bought the ZU1 (arrives in few days) just because the 2 Lux (compared to the 3 lux of the fx1)

I would appreciate some clear and down to business comments.

Thanks in advance:)

Anthony
Anthony Mooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2006, 11:44 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mooney
Hi

I just don't understand how there can be no difference - since FX1 and Z1 there is a difference of 1 Lux. I did read any "clear" comments about the difference of this "1" lux - down to reality (wedding ceremony- event videography).
I also read no staright comments from pd-170/xv-2100 users that also work with these new HD models from Sony. Do you guys miss the "1 lux' compared to "2 and 3 lux" when it comes to low light events events? Or not? Or, a more straight question, if these new cameras weren't HD would you buy them to replace the VX-2100 AND pd170?

I just bought the ZU1 (arrives in few days) just because the 2 Lux (compared to the 3 lux of the fx1)

I would appreciate some clear and down to business comments.

Thanks in advance:)

Anthony
I have the FX1 and VX2000. I just did a DV Challenge 5 Video. I had to shoot the VX2000 in an in office shot, night time, no lights, except light from a door way, and from the computer monitor. the FX1 had a hard time. It was an easy choice to go the VX2000 since everything was going to DV SD, or being encoded to internet download quality. You can check it out at www.makeyourfilm.net. Go to the "Proof of God" button. I did really have time to try to tweek the FX1, and I just went the easy way, so it is possible I could have gotten more from the FX1.
Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:41 AM   #22
Wrangler

Quote:
I don't think there is any difference in the low light abilities of the FX1 vs Z1. These lens, sensors, etc are the same. I don't know why the ratings are different, but it might have to do with how they are measured (there are different standards which can be used). The black stretch function can help you see more detail in the shadows too. It might also be the "hypergain" function on the Z1 which will let you shoot in dark places but with really noisy results which aren't going to be acceptable for most uses.

There are lots of good reasons to buy the Z1 instead of the FX1 (I have a Z1 myself), but low light responses probably isn't one of them because I don't think there's really any difference.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:40 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
I don't think there is any difference in the low light abilities of the FX1 vs Z1. These lens, sensors, etc are the same. I don't know why the ratings are different, but it might have to do with how they are measured (there are different standards which can be used). The black stretch function can help you see more detail in the shadows too. It might also be the "hypergain" function on the Z1 which will let you shoot in dark places but with really noisy results which aren't going to be acceptable for most uses.

There are lots of good reasons to buy the Z1 instead of the FX1 (I have a Z1 myself), but low light responses probably isn't one of them because I don't think there's really any difference.
Boyd, when having Black Stretch "On" with the Z1, you do get a noticeable difference between the quality of footage compared to the FX1. I have both and have noticed this clearly when shooting in worse than average lighting conditions with both cams set to the same exposure/iris/gain settings. The only difference was the Z1 had Black Strecth on!
Old April 22nd, 2006, 08:47 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Hi

Anthony
I would definitely get the HDV's as opposed to the PD170's etc. Even with the FX/Z1 being worse off as far as lux ratings are concerned, you do get better footage from the FX/Z1. This was clearly evident in a shoot I did for someone recently where they needed a second cam. Not wanting to use their cams PD or VX, I used the Z1. In a very low lit lighting at a reception, they had the cams on auto to compensate for the low light and you could CLEARLY see the graining on the LCD. With the Z1 there was nothing when set to auto. Doing a data check afterwards showed me that gain was at 13db which is quite a whack.

To be sure, I checked once captured and I was right - you could clearly see the difference. Graining on the PD footage and nothing on the Z1
Old April 22nd, 2006, 07:53 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Thank you everybody for your input.

Best - anthony
Anthony Mooney is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1