Film transfers, 60i, 50i, or Xl2? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 15th, 2005, 10:26 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Film transfers, 60i, 50i, or Xl2?

DVFilm says 60i.
Duart says 50i but prefers the Xl2 to HDV.
Anyone here actually done a test transfer to film?
For me its between 60i and 50i Sony HDV and the XL2 24p which has a great lense. The DVX100 is not for documentary filming, I have seen enough test transfers to know that...
Jeff Gibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:40 PM   #2
Contributor

I had a 35mm transfer done at DVfilm a month or so ago. It was great. I shoot mostly with a DSR500, in 16:9 mode, but some closeups and slow shutter effect shots were done with the DSR250. I watched the print at a local theater with a 30 foot screen and was really impressed with what a good job DVfilm did. The end use was for an event at a drive in theater with a building-size screen. I didn't attend the event, but those who did said the print looked great. So, if you're using DVfilm, I would do as they say and give them 60i. I didn't send them a tape master, instead I sent them an Avid codec uncompressed QuickTime on a hard drive. I was also impressed with the audio quality--it was much better than I expected too.

Also before you shoot, it would be worthwhile to buy their book which tells you everything you need to know about transfers. And if you're doing something long, it would pay to do a test before you get into the project. I understand they will apply that cost to the final bill if you go with them.

If you haven't decided on the camera yet, you might want to give them a call. They seem to like HDV because of the high res. The guy I talked with was very helpful and prompt in returning phone calls and email.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Great info! I just got my FX1 a couple of days ago. I have a long form project that I'd love to see transfered to film, but also needed something that I could shoot NTSC corporate video with. The Z1 was out of my immediate price range so shooting PAL isn't even an option for me. Nice to hear 60i looked so good.
Patrick Swinnea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2005, 11:04 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I did their class on shooting digital for film transfer 2 weeks ago. It was well worth the money. All kinds of questions were answered. We were given the book with the class. I read it afterward and it is excellent. I consider it a must if you are transferring to film.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:02 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I was looking forward to ordering this book, but the order page says that the book is being updated with the latest HDV camera info.

http://www.dvfilm.com/book.htm
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM   #6
Regular Crew

For me frame rate would come second to resolution. I just watched Jackass 2 haha yes I know with some friends where they spliced 24p DVX footage with 24p HDCAM footage and back to back the DVX looked really grainy like bad 16mm with less of the atmosphere. but hey thats my opinion.
Mack Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2006, 04:52 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Glad they are updating the book. A lot has changed since then and I got conflicting info later.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 07:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Fisher
For me frame rate would come second to resolution. I just watched Jackass 2 haha yes I know with some friends where they spliced 24p DVX footage with 24p HDCAM footage and back to back the DVX looked really grainy like bad 16mm with less of the atmosphere. but hey thats my opinion.
I saw it last night. You can sure tell the difference, though the DVX would've looked a lot better if they weren't cutting between the two sources.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 08:01 PM   #9
Contributor

That's true with any 1/3" chip camera. If you shoot the whole movie with it, there's nothing better for the eye to compare it to, and it will look fine. But intercutting with a 2/3" chip camera, it always looks softer and grainier.
Old September 23rd, 2006, 09:33 PM   #10
Regular Crew

I think if I saw SD DVX footage blown up 35mm I would still be dissapointed, aside from comparison it still looked bad.
Old September 24th, 2006, 08:55 AM   #11
Contributor

Actually, you might find it looked amazingly good, depending on the original footage and who did the transfer and what lab did the print.
Old September 24th, 2006, 10:19 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Honestly from what I have seen I dont think 480p can hold up blown up to 35mm.
Old September 24th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor
Actually, you might find it looked amazingly good, depending on the original footage and who did the transfer and what lab did the print.
Opinions opinions
Gene Crucean is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1