HD display just got cheaper/better at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1

Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1
Pro and consumer versions of this Sony 3-CCD HDV camcorder.

Old August 16th, 2005, 10:40 AM   #1

HD display just got cheaper/better

SONY EXPANDS SXRD REAR PROJECTION HDTV LINE WITH 50 AND 60-INCH GRAND WEGA TELEVISIONS

New Sets Deliver Full 1920x1080 Resolution to Optimize the HD Experience
PITTSBURGH, Aug. 16, 2005 – On the occasion of celebrating the production of the one millionth rear projection Grand WEGA™ micro-display television at its technology center here in southwestern Pennsylvania, Sony Electronics today introduced two new sets in the line based on the acclaimed Silicon X-tal (Crystal) Reflective Display (SXRD™) technology delivering full 1920 x 1080 high-definition resolution.
The 1080p (progressive) KDS-R60XBR1 and KDS-R50XBR1 Grand WEGA models compliment two existing SXRD products -- the 70-inch QUALIA™ 006 micro-display and the QUALIA 004 front projector.
"SXRD is the next milestone in the evolution of high-definition television and a standard for the ultimate picture performance," said Randy Waynick, senior vice president of the Home Products Division for Sony Electronics. "If you're looking for the full power of HDTV, these models deliver like no other."
At the heart of the models are three new 0.61-inch SXRD panels, making them the world's smallest – one each for red, green and blue color reproduction – delivering more than 2 million native pixels (1920 x 1080) for a full high-definition picture.
The panels produce a contrast ratio of 5000:1. Refinements to the panel circuit layout enabled Sony to reduce the pixel pitch on an individual panel to just seven micrometers, resulting increased pixel density, yields, quick response time and a brilliant film-like picture.
Maximizing the Picture
An "Advanced Iris" combines with the three panels and Sony's Cinema Black Pro mode to maximize up to 10,000:1 contrast based on overall light levels of the original signal. The result is exceptional brightness and sharp contrast. Additionally, the aperture of the iris shutter has been reduced in size, resulting in more faithfully reproduced blacks.
Other video signal process enhancements include Sony's WEGA Engine HD and Digital Reality Creation® MultiFunction version 2 circuitry (DRC-MFv2), which enable the digital mapping of not only conventional NTSC sources but also 1080i HD signals.
DRC-MFv2 utilizes a proprietary algorithm to provide crisp, clear pictures along with an Image Format Processor™ (IFP) technology that optimizes contrast by providing the widest dynamic range possible. IFP's enhanced motion vector algorithm also reduces signal noise without reducing the overall level of sharpness.
For greater brightness and improved color reproduction, especially with reds, the new SXRD televisions incorporate a 120-watt high-output lamp, along with a new optical engine.
The new models are digital cable ready with an integrated CableCARD slot. Additionally, Sony's S-Master® Digital Amplifier and SRS TruSurround® audio effect combine to deliver high quality sound through integrated speakers. Other features include dual HDMI inputs, three i.LINK (IEEE 1394) inputs, a PC input, optical audio output, and a Memory Stick® flash media viewer.
The KDS-R60XBR1 and KDS-R50XBR1 units will ship in September for about $5,000 and $4,000, respectively through SonyStyle.com, at Sony Style retail stores (www.sonystyle.com/retail) and at authorized dealers nationwide. Pre-orders begin on Aug. 16 at http://www.sony.com/WEGA-SXRD.

From my view, this is pretty cool. No settling for reduced/scaled pictures with flat panels, no need for sub 1300pixel displays...1080 finally is affordable.
http://www.vasst.com
Douglas Spotted Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:28 PM   #2
Wrangler

Also possibly of interest.... Rumors are circulating that Apple will update the 17" Powerbook G4 in September with a 1920x1200 screen capable of full HD resolution. Evidently owners manuals were mistakenly shipped with some current models:

http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=886
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:29 PM   #3
Regular Crew

UGH! I just bought my 60" WEGA in may... for the same price! AIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!
John McGinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:34 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McGinley
UGH! I just bought my 60" WEGA in may... for the same price! AIIIIEEEEEEEEEE!
Dang, bought my 50 WEGA last month, but at least only $2,000. I still love it and it will do me for quite awhile.

By the way, does any one make a HDMI cable to hook my JY-HD10u directly to the TV.

Mike

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony HVR-Z1 / HDR-FX1